• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have yet to be accepted to adopt but am looking to adopt from a parrot rescue a blind Patagonian Conure with a permanent head tilt.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I have yet to be accepted to adopt her but I've applied to adopt a blind Patagonian Conure with a permanent "head tilt" as they call it. She is young, 8 years old. I have no idea yet why her head is tilted but as long as it is not painful for her it doesn't matter in the slightest to me her visual deformities. I'd love to give her a home and give her a chance at a quality life. My home is quiet and I feel I would be a good match for a blind bird. My question is - has any body owned(s) a parrot that is blind both eyes? How did your parrot cope? I am guessing this little Patagonia relies much more heavily on her other senses. Im just looking for tips or any informational advice from hands on experience any body would love to give me.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have a very good friend who has a blind conure (Eli), and he is doing well. I don't have much insight to offer other than to share that Eli's environment is kept very constant so he can find his way around to food and water. He was initially picked on by my friend's other conure, but they are now doing well together.

I can ask my friend specific questions if that would be helpful.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I have a very good friend who has a blind conure (Eli), and he is doing well. I don't have much insight to offer other than to share that Eli's environment is kept very constant so he can find his way around to food and water. He was initially picked on by my friend's other conure, but they are now doing well together.

I can ask my friend specific questions if that would be helpful.
Hi. It isn't quite written in stone whether I am going to be chosen to adopt this little bird or not but certainly! If you have the time and your friend also has the time any information would be of much help and Id be highly appreciative :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My canary became blind late in life and honestly he didn't change his behavior at all. He knew his cage and his routine and continued to be a happy boy. He was caged full time (I didn't know any better at the time) and I'm sure things would have been very different if he had out of the cage time.

But...I have met a Patagonia. Absolutely stunning. You mention twice that the bird is little. Well this PC was huge! I'd say 18". I see you had a Mac so maybe this bird seems small. But the biggest concern is noise. They are commonly known to be incredibly loud. I read somewhere that PCs are so loud in the wild that they get on other bird's nerves. :) Best of luck with your decision and I hope all goes well!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
We had a blind pionus at my local rescue for a short time. He was skittish and stressed easily, so we had to move very slowly around him.
If the bird can fly, I would recommend doing some research on clipping it's wings. Unfortunately, it might be in her best interest.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
My canary became blind late in life and honestly he didn't change his behavior at all. He knew his cage and his routine and continued to be a happy boy. He was caged full time (I didn't know any better at the time) and I'm sure things would have been very different if he had out of the cage time.

But...I have met a Patagonia. Absolutely stunning. You mention twice that the bird is little. Well this PC was huge! I'd say 18". I see you had a Mac so maybe this bird seems small. But the biggest concern is noise. They are commonly known to be incredibly loud. I read somewhere that PCs are so loud in the wild that they get on other bird's nerves. :) Best of luck with your decision and I hope all goes well!
Awwww your canary :) Thank you for your input. I just for life of me cannot imagine what it would be like to be blind AND in a rescue at that. No offense against the rescue by any means! From the looks of it, the research Ive done on them, the rescuer/she pours her heart and soul into the parrots she takes in. I feel I can get her into my home and I can provide comfort to her even with her disabilities. Ive never seen a Patagonia. I keep hearing that they are loud but from the experience Ive had with my parrots Im wondering what is defined as loud? Is it high-pitched like Hawk Head/Cape? Is it wall shattering like when my Green Wing when she was alive and would scream if I wasnt dedicating every second to her? Is it a noise like my Blue Front Patti used to make running around house screaming like a toddler "ahhhhhhhhh!!!!" LOL. What kind of loud? In a flock I'm sure they're quite obnoxious though. It is very hard to find information on the species or really even find them as pets on YOUTUBE.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
We had a blind pionus at my local rescue for a short time. He was skittish and stressed easily, so we had to move very slowly around him.
If the bird can fly, I would recommend doing some research on clipping it's wings. Unfortunately, it might be in her best interest.
Yes, I do agree with you, for her safety, if she wants to fly while blind best to clip her. I feel like as every human is different with disabilities every parrot reacts in different ways too with disabilities. I can absolutely understand being skittish. As a blind prey animal constantly being moved around, doesn't have a stable place to call home or feel comfortable I definitely understand. I think it will take months to get this bird to understand, if the rescue gives me a chance at her, she is in a safe home with me. I guess I got my answer. It truly depends upon the birds life experiences and how we approach this to.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My blind macaw is my most adventurous of all my birds. He doesn’t mind the cage being rearranged and I don’t limit his area to anything smaller than what a sighted macaw gets. The only difference is he likes a lot of his toys on the ground. He enjoys tearing them up where he feels secure. Foot toys and even hanging toys laid on the ground will keep him happily playing for hours. I also be sure to talk to him when I’m coming near, though I’m almost positive he can hear my steps before I speak anyway. No fast movements, but other than that I treat him no differently. He is flighted as well so he can catch himself should he need it though he chooses not to fly around the house. I think he’d be a sad guy if I limited his exploring due to his lack of vision. He even tries new food before my other macaws. His favorite perching spot is his ring swing high up in his aviary and it has no special accommodations to get him to a new perch. He climbs around like any other macaw and I do add toys frequently though I don’t change perch location.

All that said I think each bird is an individual and it would take time to figure out a new ones likes/dislikes and their comfort zone. 221A4F67-F8F7-49BA-87CD-B472A12B0261.jpeg

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I spent the last 45 minutes looking at Patagonians online. YouTube is quite the time sucker, lol. But they are so pretty and so playful. I was trying to find out what kind of calls they make that are so annoying, but it just seemed like a parrot being a parrot. I'll be watching how this goes for you.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
My blind macaw is my most adventurous of all my birds. He doesn’t mind the cage being rearranged and I don’t limit his area to anything smaller than what a sighted macaw gets. The only difference is he likes a lot of his toys on the ground. He enjoys tearing them up where he feels secure. Foot toys and even hanging toys laid on the ground will keep him happily playing for hours. I also be sure to talk to him when I’m coming near, though I’m almost positive he can hear my steps before I speak anyway. No fast movements, but other than that I treat him no differently. He is flighted as well so he can catch himself should he need it though he chooses not to fly around the house. I think he’d be a sad guy if I limited his exploring due to his lack of vision. He even tries new food before my other macaws. His favorite perching spot is his ring swing high up in his aviary and it has no special accommodations to get him to a new perch. He climbs around like any other macaw and I do add toys frequently though I don’t change perch location.

All that said I think each bird is an individual and it would take time to figure out a new ones likes/dislikes and their comfort zone. View attachment 410203
Your Scarlett is beautiful! And looks very happy. Plummage is bright. Gorgeous baby! I believe you are right when you say each is individual in how they deal with their disabilities. My goal would be to get her, if they allow me to adopt her, the way your happy macaw looks. That is a great idea the toys being on the ground. It will all be touch and go taking time to figure out where she prefers her toys so she knows they are in same spot. I am glad you shared that with me about the toys - thank you.