• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have question about cage

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
Hi all,
Does anyone has this cage in small size the one that has cost of $29.99 in blue? Amazon.com : Suncast 19-Inch Pet Carrier Round : Hard Sided Pet Carriers : Pet Supplies I really like this cage but don't know the exact bar space of this cage. This cage in Large has huge bar spacing like that can be used for cockatiels and conures etc. Any other suggestions for travel cages for budgies are most welcome as I really need to see your suggestions. I really hope someone from this forum has this small cage so I would know the bar spacing of that. ;)

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I have the large one but not the small. I think even in the small size the gaps would be too wide for budgies. My main concern is the front: those gaps are wider than the bars that are already fairly wide in the first place.

Edit: these are on 53% off now though I've never had one...
Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Universal Pet Carrier, Gray : Pet Supplies

I use something similar to this for my cockatiel as it's smaller. I drilled a few holes and used the ones already there to attach some perches.
Amazon.com : Petmate 41037 Compass Fashion Pets Kennel with Chrome Door, Hot Pink/Black : Dog Kennel : Pet Supplies

Last edited:

Lovemybudgies4

Strolling the yard
I can put something on the front door from inside so I'm not worried about that part as one of the customer also did this and has posted the pic that how she covered the bars on the front door.

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
I have the soft sided one from A&E. Large for my cockatiel and small for my parakeet. I'll let you know how they work. I am traveling 14 hours (8 & 6 each day).

travel carrier.png

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I have the soft sided one from A&E. Large for my cockatiel and small for my parakeet. I'll let you know how they work. I am traveling 14 hours (8 & 6 each day).

View attachment 244103
Interesting. How do you give them access to water and food in those? The fact that they are soft would scare me a bit too, something could squash them.

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
Someone mentioned using a slice of apple instead of water and I thought I'd put a few Nutri-berries on the floor while I'm driving. For the hotel, i have small regular wire cages with the normal food and water cups. This raises it interesting question: how many hours can A bird go without food? I'll be driving for about 6 to 8 hours per day and at the hotel, they will be in a small regular cage with food and water. As for the soft sided, they will be situated in the car where nothing can hit them. For cleaning, the bottom tray is solid vinyl and is removable and easy to clean. If anyone has ever use these and had a bad experience, please tell me now. I have another month to go before I travel.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I have that soft-sided carrier for my two GCCs and I love it; however, I only use it for trips up to an hour. The birds can see out of the screen but it is not easy to see in unless you are the right angle - which I like as they have come in stores with me without a problem when needed. The car seatbelt threads through it. It is a quick wipe down to clean. I give them water and food by hand if out long. I am not sure it would be good for long trips but they can turn around inside and seem happy enough.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Has anyone used something like this for birds while on travel? Amazon.com : Favorite 19.5-Inch Portable Two Door Top Load Pet Plastic Carrier Crate for Small Animals : Pet Supplies I would like something like this if possible so that way the top has some bars so I can hang even a 1 small swing. Or if anyone can suggest me good small cage that I can use for going to vet visit reasons etc. Thanks

I imagine that carrier would would great for short trips such as going to the vets office. I have one Petmate Cabin Kennel with wire top that includes one tiny door, so the entire top does not open up. However, the entire carrier does fold open, rather than having a door.

Here is a video that does show the carrier.

This store has a picture with the carrier open.

Petmate Cabin Kennel Wire Top (up to 10lbs) - Almond

That said, any hard sided carrier you can always drill a hole through the plastic to insert perches into it... so you don't *NEED* a wire top. Wire top might make it easier, though....

Or you could use small cages, too... although I would recommend one with a large door. Something maybe like these?

You & Me Finch Rectangle Flight Cage | Petco Store
You & Me Square Top Parakeet Cage | Petco Store
Prevue Pet Products Parakeet & Lovebird Bird Cage | bird Cages | PetSmart
Prevue Pet Products Flight Bird Cage | bird Cages | PetSmart