• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have pink eye and my budgie landed on me

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
Was coughing up a storm and wiped my face on my shoulder without thinking. I also currently have pink eye. My budgie heard my racket and came to check on me.

I’m paranoid that he might get infected cuz he landed on that same arm and walked all the way up to my face. he didn’t poke at my face or anything and I immediately put him on his perch. Anything to give me peace of mind? I would hate to infect him cuz I hear pink eye can kill budgies :(

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Infection is dependent on a lot of things, including the amount exposed to and the individual’s immune system. Also, not everything that is infecting a human can be easily passed to birds, so it also depends on what you’re down with and what is causing your pink eye.

Your budgie is probably fine, but just keep an eye out for anything out of place.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
As far as I am aware, birds can catch pink eye from humans, it is highly contagious.

It is important to keep anything you wore, lean/lay on or even stuff you touched clean and disinfected, keep your hands and shoulders away from rubbing at your eye- if you really need to itch/wipe then I would suggest only doing so in the bathroom where you can be easily ready for a good clean up of any other body part/material that touched the infected area.

Keep your little one away from your face or anything you use on your face (tissue, glasses etc) and if you happen to have an incident like earlier where your bird does possibly get to walk on an area possibly infected then I suggest grabbing the bird and cleaning the feet up well before there is a chance of feet being used to itch/touch the birds face.