• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone dealt with Foot Regurgitation?

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
How does she do with play stands? I’m curious if this is a bars/cage only behavior or if she’s just toy possessive. Have you given her foot toys? (Since she likes feet lol)
Toy possessive of select toys on playstand... will chew on random pieces of cardboard and stuff but isnt familiar with foot toys! She only had one toy on her previous home and it was a messy, old rope. I'm thinking hormone related. She gets poofy and gets under them. In her cage I've even seen her rub her bottom against them. She is possessive of her foraging wheel too.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
You may want to remove toys that cause her hormones to rage, that won’t be helpful in taming and training.
I would add more neutral toys(like the toys she doesn’t protect, but still plays with), just give her lots of toys to the point she doesn’t feel the need to guard them. She may just feel needy right now, like her toys will disappear.
is it possible that foot regurgitation is hormone related and a misplaced nesting/raising young behavior?

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
You may want to remove toys that cause her hormones to rage, that won’t be helpful in taming and training.
I would add more neutral toys(like the toys she doesn’t protect, but still plays with), just give her lots of toys to the point she doesn’t feel the need to guard them. She may just feel needy right now, like her toys will disappear.
is it possible that foot regurgitation is hormone related and a misplaced nesting/raising young behavior?
I haven't found a toy yet that she doesn't do it with. She'll do it with even a piece of cardboard. Instead, I have made a habit of moving her toys around a ton and placing them very strategically so she can just grab them with her beak to shred them but she cannot put her body under them or "hide" under them when I come get her. But like I said, that isn't really an issue anymore sine she is cage free.

I don't think it's hormone related. She will be hungry and do the foot thing. When shes running empty, she eats more food until she can do it more from what I am seeing. Additionally, she is so young. And she does it frantically like shes hungry I don't know. Plus she does it during stressful situations (i.e me asking her to advance in training when she doesn't want to or isn't ready) and sometimes when we are training and I take a second too long to ask for behavior, she will do it. She does it after shes had a favorite treat almost as if she wants to eat it again/taste it again so she just... throws it up so she can have it again.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The closest I've dealt with is our macaw Buzzard "feeding" his wing to the point of losing feathers, then licking it off. I think it started as a way to self-soothe when he first came to live with us and eventually became a behavior similar to feeding a mate? He (thankfully) has moved on to feeding his red toys, but rather than remove them, I make sure he always has a clean one in his cage & another on his playstand because I prefer him feeding the toy than his wing. :shrug:

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
The closest I've dealt with is our macaw Buzzard "feeding" his wing to the point of losing feathers, then licking it off. I think it started as a way to self-soothe when he first came to live with us and eventually became a behavior similar to feeding a mate? He (thankfully) has moved on to feeding his red toys, but rather than remove them, I make sure he always has a clean one in his cage & another on his playstand because I prefer him feeding the toy than his wing. :shrug:
I was searching for anyone with a similar issue and I did stumble upon your post and that issue, actually! It was informative though I don't think we are dealing with the same kind of thing when I look further into it, but it was definitely a helpful read on the subject. But we could be! I am honestly hoping it's some weird crop issue or SOMETHING fixing with medicine or something because she does it... so often and it's breaking my heart and stressful for me lol. And I would not have ANY idea where to begin to even start to fix the behavior or curb it elsewhere.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know that @Mizzely has dealt with the feeding of toys from her Pi, Ripley. I'm not sure if she's dealt with what you're experiening.... If I remember correctly, she's implied his is hormonal as I don't even think it takes a stiff breeze to spring his (um) other Ripley... To attention. (So to speak)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know that @Mizzely has dealt with the feeding of toys from her Pi, Ripley. I'm not sure if she's dealt with what you're experiening.... If I remember correctly, she's implied his is hormonal as I don't even think it takes a stiff breeze to spring his (um) other Ripley... To attention. (So to speak)
Yeah Ripley barfs all over toys and perches and is generally a horndog. Once he gets a nest set up he goes about laying down his brick work (it dries like cement!)

oanapink

Checking out the neighborhood
I am wondering if you solved this meanwhile. I have a monk parakeet 3.5 yo,male, doing the same think. He is doing it on the foot with the ring on it. He has the cage open 24/7, a lot of toys...he just sitting on his platform start to slightly chew the leg and regurgitate on it. I am having him for about 2 months now. He has some beak marks from other birds bullying him and i am thinking he got some trauma left or something...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I am wondering if you solved this meanwhile. I have a monk parakeet 3.5 yo,male, doing the same think. He is doing it on the foot with the ring on it. He has the cage open 24/7, a lot of toys...he just sitting on his platform start to slightly chew the leg and regurgitate on it. I am having him for about 2 months now. He has some beak marks from other birds bullying him and i am thinking he got some trauma left or something...

It's been almost a year since Kenzie has visited. They may or may not respond.

It could be an OCD coping behavior. Redirecting with incompatible behaviors and working on mental enrichment may help.

oanapink

Checking out the neighborhood
It's been almost a year since Kenzie has visited. They may or may not respond.

It could be an OCD coping behavior. Redirecting with incompatible behaviors and working on mental enrichment may help.

Thank you!
I am trying to distract him all the time. He is also humping his food bowls so maybe is hormonal?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thank you!
I am trying to distract him all the time. He is also humping his food bowls so maybe is hormonal?
As I have since learned.... humping isn't always sexual. It could be under stimulation, over stimulation, anxiety, stress....

I am not aware of any PARROT specific info on this... but there's more and more info about this behavior in dogs.

Pattern games are often recommended for dogs with anxiety.... some of these can be modified to work with birds

There may be much we have yet to learn about how parrots cope with things about their environment.