• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison Concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Before July/August 09', my birds were on (this is a guestimate ratio) 10% harrisons(in foraging toys), 10% TOPs, 50% fruit/veggies, 20% dried fruit/seed/nuts(in foraging toys), and the last 10% was birdie bread, cooked food, etc.

I never had "issues" until I moved out in the beginning of July/August. I thought the that perhaps I should feed mainly pellets for a time being, as they settled down. So I gave more like 10-15% fresh veggies/fruits, 0-5% cooked foods, and the rest Harrisons (I stopped giving TOPs for a while, not sure why).

Due to personal reasons, I moved out of my other housing arrangements with some friends (it was great but there were a few issues arising (not bird related) which made me decide to move back into my moms).

Well Ive noticed since keeping my birds on a mainly harrison's diet (adult formula, not high potency coarse, after downing the amount of fresh, and after Gra's passing, feeding such a high protein diet wasnt working, so Bokka(and the rest of the fids) has been on adult) Bokka has been throwing them up. He is 100% fine on TOPs, and he is fine on any other pellet, but not Harrisons. Not lately anyway. Ive also noticed Opa doing this too. Before, I thought it was just normal throat movements, to help digestion. But then Bokka started to throw up the harrison pellets. He only throws them up after he gobbles them down so quickly. He likes them soaked in warm water, and then fed to him. So he literally gobbles them down. However, he also did these throat movements (with no vomitting) when he ate them normally (non-gobbling). He is also known to gobble down just boiled (but not too hot) carrots and sweet potatoe slices, and if I feed him just the carrots, he is also known to sometimes throw them up, he eats them way too fast.

But Opa gets both warmed pellets and eats them dry, and he is also showing some signs of wanting to throw them up sometimes. And Opa doesnt have the tendency to gobble food down(unless its just warmed food like birdie mash, oatmeal or cooked veggies.

Beeba my mom's Mollucan has no problem on mainly a Harrison's pellet diet(my mom keeps her birds on a different diet than mine. Mine are now back to normal with mainly fresh and less pellets, my mom's is on mainly pellet with some fresh and cooked foods to about 30% of daily intake).

So Ive been feeding my guys Tops/Harrisons/Roudybush and Zupreem to see how my fids do on other pellets. My thought was maybe it wasnt the pellets but the vitamins in it? Maybe they were reacting to a vitamin toxicity? Opa and Bokka have taken more to the other pellets than to Harrisons.

Its only sometimes Bokka throws up, and only sometimes I see weird throat movements from either.

Im having a few concerns. Have the batches of Harrison's been "weird" lately? Or perhaps my birds are just used to the very varied diet they used to be on (they are now back onto the same diet as they were on before all the change started to happen). Or perhaps my birds are jsut eating their pellets too fast?

Bokka's weight has dropped since July(it slowly dropped over a period of months) from 610-630grams down to 586g on average.

Opa's weight has maintained normal consistency about 640-650grams.

Im thinking, for right now, I might just switch my birds to another pellet. Maybe to just TOPs, or Roudybush or something.

Last edited:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I'm not sure, maybe changing the diet had something to do with it all, and now that they are back to what they were used to eating all will be well. So far I haven't had any issues with Harrison's adult coarse. Good luck.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
there have been problems with the coarse as far as being ultra hard. there are several threads about that. i hope you can come to a conclusion soon and i will be following this thread...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have my bird back on their original diet of mainly fresh veggies/fruits/greens and cooked veggies and rice and birdie breads, and a small portion of their diet is pellets and seed/nuts/grains, once again :) They're doing better :) much better.

However getting our Moby onto this diet has been trying. He doesnt seem to like any othe rpellet than roudybush... BUT, he has been eating most of his fresh veggies/fruits/grains/cooked rice and veggies pretty good. He doesnt seem to be phased by seed:eek: He was on an all seed diet (cockatiel blend) for all his life before this autumn, so Im just surprised he doesnt like/want seed. So getting him to forage is a toughy. But all is well :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for the update I am glad they are doing well

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Have you thought about allergies? I know of at least one bird (a scarlet) who has allergies to certain ingredients and will throw up if he eat food with too much of those ingredients in it.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Have you thought about allergies? I know of at least one bird (a scarlet) who has allergies to certain ingredients and will throw up if he eat food with too much of those ingredients in it.

I have thought about it. And I do think it may be an allergy or change of diet that are upsetting them. But Ive decided to have my fids back on their rwegular diet of 50% veggies/fruits/greens/cooked food, etc, and 20% pellets and 20% seed/nut/sprouts and 10% other

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
I'm very glad that everything is working out - if it is an allergy could it be peanuts since harrisons has those but i don't believe roudy bush or TOPS do?
Any who - glad everything is back to normal. i am also moving this direction tho a few of mine are like uh really? about the veggies they love their birdie bread, and grains so im thinking of adding veggies (pureed from now on) to some of those items to ensure they are eating at least some.. not sure tho. i will get it..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.