• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness choice and training?

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
I have a baby cockatiel that ive been raising since hatch. I really wanna take hom outside on walks so he can experiance the world. Hes currently 1.5 months old but looks like just 1 month. Ive heard the easiest way to harness train is to put it on the baby for feedings and take it off when youre done. When should i start?

I also know nothing about harnesses. Initially i didnt like the concept of harnesses but it has grown on me since. Only problem is that I live in Poland and specific supplies are very limited. I looked on a website i always buy things on (that being allegro- not sure if it operates elsewhere) and I only found those cheap looking ones. After looking it up on google i found something more promising on a polish website called parrot planet. Pictures below, i can also provide links and can try to translate the descriptions :)

Attachments

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Are you able to get the aviator harness? If you can, it's probably the best harness you can get.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
I found this one, it should work if you find a way to close the side the leash does not attach to.

I was a little sceptical on that one since its marketed as fitting lizards, turtles, and parrots, it just seems sketchy... The aviator one is really expensive and ive seen everyone recommend it so i assume its the best choice. Time to really spend alot, im going to buy a cage for about 350zł and now the harness at 170zł...oh well, birds are expensive and I knew that when getting them :)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
In the US it costs 35 dollars, so that doesn't sound too bad.

Reactions: Ali

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
That is about 35 pounds, which is the price of the aviator everywhere...
And that cage seems pretty cheap... how big is it?
What cage are you getting? I assume it's for your little guy? Converted it would be about 90 us dollars, which is a deal for a good cage in the US.
The thing is...1 euro/us dollar costs 4 złotych. If I were to buy something that costs 4 euro it would be pretty cheap in euro, but for me it would be 20 złotych. Everything turns extremely expensive, sadly :( I assume that's what's going on with the harness. dollars are more expensive, but the value of the item still stays at 30 in whatever currency you're using. However, if they're buying the harness from a seller, it's for 30 (lets say) euro, so 120 złotych + added cost for them to actually make a profit. I hope i explained it well. I found another website that sells the harness for 120zł with shipping.

As for the cage, I'm still not 100% sure. The one I liked sold out and I'm left with one that's 78 x 48 x 81 cm. Do you think it's good? It's for just one bird that will be outside for most the time...If it's better than my current cage for my pair I might have to rehouse them, which isn't too healthy for them but it's for their own good and will make them happier in the long run. We'll see, again, I'm still choosing and might find a better one :)

here's the link if you wanna see:

On a side note, I know that the wider the better, but I swear to god, every darn cage is either tall or completely round at the top

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would say that is a pretty good cage for a single cockatiel. Especially if it is out most of the day.

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
I would say that is a pretty good cage for a single cockatiel. Especially if it is out most of the day.
Do you see anything wrong with it? Asking out of curiosity and so I can prepare beforehand. I imagine the baby to be my little sweetheart (since he already is the absolute sweetest) so he'll be out with me at all times when I'm home. Only concern could be school or when I'm away shopping, etc. so I don't think he needs a massive cage. I'll put in more toys when I figure out what he likes. Also, does anyone know when to start converting him to solid food? Hes still too young so I haven't researched yet

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you see anything wrong with it? Asking out of curiosity and so I can prepare beforehand. I imagine the baby to be my little sweetheart (since he already is the absolute sweetest) so he'll be out with me at all times when I'm home. Only concern could be school or when I'm away shopping, etc. so I don't think he needs a massive cage. I'll put in more toys when I figure out what he likes.
That cage looks pretty good, but it would be best to replace the food cups with ones that go higher on the cage. (stainless steel is best, but I don't know how much that would cost for you) Also, getting natural and rope prches to replace the dowels, or just putting the dowels at the bottom, and the better perches up high so he uses the dowels less.

The thing is...1 euro/us dollar costs 4 złotych. If I were to buy something that costs 4 euro it would be pretty cheap in euro, but for me it would be 20 złotych. Everything turns extremely expensive, sadly :(
I've never been good at understanding things like that :confused:

That's too bad that everything is more expensive for you :(

Also, does anyone know when to start converting him to solid food? Hes still too young so I haven't researched yet
@Tiel Feathers ?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Do you see anything wrong with it? Asking out of curiosity and so I can prepare beforehand. I imagine the baby to be my little sweetheart (since he already is the absolute sweetest) so he'll be out with me at all times when I'm home. Only concern could be school or when I'm away shopping, etc. so I don't think he needs a massive cage. I'll put in more toys when I figure out what he likes. Also, does anyone know when to start converting him to solid food? Hes still too young so I haven't researched yet
Not really. Just the dowel perches and really low food bowls like @Kiwi's Mom mentioned...

You can get little food bowls that just cling to the side of a cage

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
Not really. Just the dowel perches and really low food bowls like @Kiwi's Mom mentioned...

You can get little food bowls that just cling to the side of a cage
That cage looks pretty good, but it would be best to replace the food cups with ones that go higher on the cage. (stainless steel is best, but I don't know how much that would cost for you) Also, getting natural and rope prches to replace the dowels, or just putting the dowels at the bottom, and the better perches up high so he uses the dowels less.

I've never been good at understanding things like that :confused:

That's too bad that everything is more expensive for you :(

@Tiel Feathers ?
My guess is that the bowls can be relocated. Even if, I have steel bowls for my birds so that's what I'm getting either way. My dad is a woodworker (is that the word?) so I have no issues with natural perches :) I'll get 2 rope perches this time, I only got 1 for my birds and they seem to really like it. Plus there's always the added bonus of customizing it's shape and attaching it wherever you like. I'll still have to buy toys but I have some in mind. Should I buy the cage already, or should I wait?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have not read this whole thread but I’d be very concerned about that harness for use on a bird. I mean it may work but I seriously would want to see how it fits and where exactly it sits on the bird etc before buying it to use on a bird.

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
Java sparrows?
Oh, no, common sparrows from my backyard. Their nest fell during a really windy day so we took them in when they were almost completely naked

I have not read this whole thread but I’d be very concerned about that harness for use on a bird. I mean it may work but I seriously would want to see how it fits and where exactly it sits on the bird etc before buying it to use on a bird.
The aviator harness? Its been recommended by people not just on this thread and thats what Im deciding to go with. I dont live in an area with many shops at all and the closest one is really small and an hour ago. Its mainly for cats and dogs as all petshops here are and only has a few toys, seeds and vitamins for birds, so I cant exactly go and try them out or even hold them...Those chinese harnesses from the other website just seem so cheap and I honestly wouldnt even use them inside

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I was talking about the pic I saw in your link..... the aviator is what I have for Burt and is definitely secure. Another popular one is the Avian web harness.