• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy hut replacement woes..

HEARTAGRAM

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Suzi
Hi all
I have a male GCC 4 years old , we recently replaced his happy hut as it was looking worn and due to the fact I'm paranoid about him becoming entangled or eating the fibers.
Unfortunately he totally hates his new hut, I trawled the internet to find an exact replica but only found one with a similar inside albeit bigger and a different outer pattern.
He was petrified at first but he is used to it being in the cage now and has been in it once or twice but has been sleeping on his perch (he used to sleep on his side inside the hut) rather than in his new one.
We are only on night 3, shall I persevere and see if he eventually gives in or shall I give his old hut a thorough trim and and put it back in?

Any advice is appreciated!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When I used to use happy huts, my birds wouldn't use the replacement ones unless they matched perfectly.
If your old one needs a trim, then please throw it away. If you can find a solid shelf that you could make into a comfy spot for sleeping, it will be safer in the long run. Just my 2 cents! ;)

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
You could try a sea grass mat as well. After Aries got stuck in one of the huts I wouldn’t use one again so had to find something else. I would buy the large ones and hang it just like a hut for her. It took her a bit but she did take to it and could safely chew it up as well. You can see how we did it in this old picture.

1163FDCA-7DC1-44F7-B1B3-4E49FF05AB74.jpeg

Jenks never liked the mats so we have a flat perch with a fleece preener hanging with it so he can cuddle up in the preener.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
One of mine was able to defleece those, if you can believe that!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy huts are hazardous and have killed many birds. Please use another material, such as the sea grass suggested above!

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
he'll get used to the new one eventually, you could put a treat in there. i made a box house from cat food box,put some holes in the back & secured it to the cage with zip ties

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
For my green-cheek IMG_20200623_142204188.jpg I also bought I think it was a cockatiel breeding house. That's what he uses every day I did have to put a perch on the side of it in order for him to get in and I put some would chew toys inside so he wouldn't have to step down so far but he sleeps in the breeding house every night and he uses the cardboard box to nap or eat snacks. They have the breeding houses at PetSmart I did buy mine online and had it delivered. The breeding houses have a hook on the back to hook it to your cage and they come in different sizes. Even the breeding house took him a few weeks to get into but he even goes in there sometimes during the day to nap or talk to himself! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
My sun conure loves his happy huts. It typically takes him a few days to use a new one though. Last fall I decided to try a different style because he decided to destroy the fleece ones. I found this on on amazon. Took him about a week to decide to try it but he loves it now and so do I. No chewing this one up. The outside is canvas the inside is a real smooth fleece.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I haven't seen this style before @itzmered. Does he actually burrow himself inside it or does he sleep on top?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My sun conure loves his happy huts. It typically takes him a few days to use a new one though. Last fall I decided to try a different style because he decided to destroy the fleece ones. I found this on on amazon. Took him about a week to decide to try it but he loves it now and so do I. No chewing this one up. The outside is canvas the inside is a real smooth fleece.

lol those used to be sold as ferret hammocks! I’ve never seen them before advertised for use for birds- my ferrets used to have them like 15 years ago. They’re so cool for pets that like to hide and burrow

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What a great idea! Did you make it with a firm flooring or as a soft wraparound?

Hope Mercy

Checking out the neighborhood
What a great idea! Did you make it with a firm flooring or as a soft wraparound?
I used several thicknesses of quilt batting type fabric in the bottom and single thickness in the sides. It kind of holds the triangular shape. 15939877417906727911622729372912.jpg

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I second the Happy Huts being too dangerous, just so many terrible stories regarding them. :no:

My GCC sleeps leaned up against or curled under one of these fleece toys every night, it’s important to check regularly for any damage at all with fabric toys. I get mine from ABirdToy. 4BEEE3B2-164A-4D38-AEE6-5F1BDBC8D1E8.jpeg
If yours is the type to chew on fleece, Seagrass huts/swings may be worth looking into as shown by another Avenue member above. :)