• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happiest 1st time budgie mom

Chelly

Moving in
Real Name
Missy
Hi everyone. I'm a new budgie mom. His name is Buddy and he certainly is mine. Buddy is 5 months old now and has lots of energy. He loves to play the winking game, peekaboo, music, and the mickey mouse club cartoon. He goes crazy for cartoons and music, especially when I sing to him. He sings and chatters away. I have noticed over the past week, Buddy has been molting and going through the nipping stage which I found out is called "bluffing" stage. Ouch! It's not been fun for me since I've had to give some tough love. it's been hard on him too because it's an uncomfortable time for him. We are working through it together with God's help. Lol. Any further suggestions on food...pellets vs seeds, nipping, etc. Thanks

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!
:hello:

There's lots of experienced folks here that I'm sure will be able to provide some guidance.

We would love to see some photos of your little guy!

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Hi! Welcome to the Avenue! I agree! Shower is with pictures of Buddy!:needpics:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A big hello to you and Buddy budgie. You are off to a good start.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome!

Chelly

Moving in
Real Name
Missy
A big hello to you and Buddy budgie. You are off to a good start.
Thanks. The past week has been very upsetting because buddy acts like all he wants to do is nip at my finger. I'm trying everything from ignoring it, which it hurts when he nips, to saying "NO"and walking away for a bit. I feel bad that other parakeets snuggle with their owners and mine won't. He won't even come out of his cage. I don't know what to do. He is 5 months now. Help.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
None of my eight are snuggly. This can be a good thing. It means they know they're birds.

A few weeks ago, for the first time ever, one of mine came out willingly (rather than in a panic or accidentally), flew about, landed on the frame of a painting, looked at me all cocky like he always knew how do to this, then flew back to his cage. I was suitably mesmerized. I'd just continue taking things slowly & bribing him with millet: in the cage, in the cage in your hand, near the door, etc. I think you're putting too much pressure on your relationship: you have a lifetime. :)

And for anyone curious, the budgie in question was Cloud.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

RitaPetita

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl Chapple
Thanks. The past week has been very upsetting because buddy acts like all he wants to do is nip at my finger. I'm trying everything from ignoring it, which it hurts when he nips, to saying "NO"and walking away for a bit. I feel bad that other parakeets snuggle with their owners and mine won't. He won't even come out of his cage. I don't know what to do. He is 5 months now. Help.
Whenever I've owned a bird who is nippy, I hold their beak closed for a couple seconds and say a firm NO. This has always helped.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hold their beak closed for a couple seconds
I think that this is quite dangerous. A little bird like a budgie coudl end up injured if you are applying pressure to their beak.
Not something I would ever do to my lovebirds and they have strong beaks, I couldn´t even imagine doing it, not on my birds, or a large macaw, and less so on a budgie.
Nope.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Welcome :)
Birds also have limits and rules. It can be different for each bird. Just like in humans.
And I have to respect them. We can't fix it by closing its beak or punishing it. This is really so wrong.
They just need respect and love. I can intervene as long as they allow. And sometimes I let them know I'm sorry.

Last edited:

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Whenever I've owned a bird who is nippy, I hold their beak closed for a couple seconds and say a firm NO. This has always helped.
It kind of sounds like a flooding technique which is never good. This could cause more agression issues in the future as it causes alot of stress on the bird. A better way is when bird bites say 'no' with no agression, but still a little firm. Then put your bird down and ignore him. I have had to do this a few times with my conure, she just comes back and acts nicer.

RitaPetita

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl Chapple
It kind of sounds like a flooding technique which is never good. This could cause more agression issues in the future as it causes alot of stress on the bird. A better way is when bird bites say 'no' with no agression, but still a little firm. Then put your bird down and ignore him. I have had to do this a few times with my conure, she just comes back and acts nicer.
Well, I've owned parrots for over 40 years and it's worked every time. I'm not talking about holding the beak shut for a long time, I mean maybe 2 seconds with a firm NO. With my quaker, I just touch the top of her beak with my finger and say NO, firmly.

RitaPetita

Moving in
Real Name
Cheryl Chapple
I think that this is quite dangerous. A little bird like a budgie coudl end up injured if you are applying pressure to their beak.
Not something I would ever do to my lovebirds and they have strong beaks, I couldn´t even imagine doing it, not on my birds, or a large macaw, and less so on a budgie.
Nope.
It's not dangerous. I'm not talking about holding it firmly. I do it very gently for maybe two seconds with a firm NO. In over 40 years of owning parrots, it's been successful.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
It's not dangerous. I'm not talking about holding it firmly. I do it very gently for maybe two seconds with a firm NO. In over 40 years of owning parrots, it's been successful.
Putting your fingers on the beak of a bird for biting is foolish IMHO.

You risk getting bit again, for one.

Secondly you're giving a reason to dislike or fear hands/fingers.

If it works for you and your bird, kudos to you. But it's not advice I would be dishing out to others. Particularly if the bird already has hand issues or has an unknown or troubled past.