• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

handling bird's wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsrcksaaf

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brittney
Hey!

I have bought Oboe, my sunday conure, a clicker and aviator harness. I want to be able to handle his wings and rest him on his back in the palm of my hand and handle his feet so that I can trim his nails easier when he needs a little help with that. Right now he (sometimes) lets me scratch his head. We have not done much clicker training yet. He does let me feed him from my hand. I have no issues getting him in or out of his cage, so he is a pretty good bird. I have had him for 6 months and he is about 10 months old.

So does anyone have any tips on how i can get him to let me handle him more? Thanks!

p.s. day-by-day/step-by-step advice would be much appreciated!!:)

ConureGuy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paul
Only one thing comes to mind thats target training its a great way to get your bird to step up etc.

Paarthurnaax

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kira Myrick
Hey!

I have bought Oboe, my sunday conure, a clicker and aviator harness. I want to be able to handle his wings and rest him on his back in the palm of my hand and handle his feet so that I can trim his nails easier when he needs a little help with that. Right now he (sometimes) lets me scratch his head. We have not done much clicker training yet. He does let me feed him from my hand. I have no issues getting him in or out of his cage, so he is a pretty good bird. I have had him for 6 months and he is about 10 months old.

So does anyone have any tips on how i can get him to let me handle him more? Thanks!

p.s. day-by-day/step-by-step advice would be much appreciated!!:)
If it's the harness that comes with the DVD, make sure to watch that video! The man who created that harness was spot-on with the process of introducing your bird to the harness and getting them to wear it. Kass followed those steps with Nirmala, and now, when she sees the harness, she actually WANTS to wear it! That man is an absolute genius...and he's got some really pretty birds to look at during the video too. Best instructional DVD ever made! :dance4:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
If it's the harness that comes with the DVD, make sure to watch that video! The man who created that harness was spot-on with the process of introducing your bird to the harness and getting them to wear it. Kass followed those steps with Nirmala, and now, when she sees the harness, she actually WANTS to wear it! That man is an absolute genius...and he's got some really pretty birds to look at during the video too. Best instructional DVD ever made! :dance4:
I was tickled when he 'apologized' that Crayola (the scarlet macaw) is so well-behaved!

Status
Not open for further replies.