• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Handfeeding Techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I am hand feeding my Quaker and she doesn't have a feeding response. She also doesn't like me steadying her head, so I just let her take the tip of the syringe, and I fill her mouth. Kind of like what someone else described. It works great for us!

At three weeks she never had a feeding response. Her breeder used to shoot the formula into the back of her mouth, which I would never do.

Also because she doesn't like me to hold her head, the formula gets all over her face, aha. But all because there is no feeding response doesn't mean there is some wrong handling, or the baby is uncomfortable.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
first thing I noticed is she is pushing the bottom beak OUT with the syringe, and keeps doing it all through the video This is how Scissor beak is caused!!!!!!!!!!!

I put my hand over their heads and they still give the feeding response and bob their heads, I don't put any pressure on them my hand is just there for more of "bounce pad" so they don't go too far while giving the feeding response because some do go hog wild and then it makes it a bit hard to get the syringe in their mouth when their head is bobbing up down, left and right a hundred miles a hr. but I just Cup my hand over them with out pressure so they still bob and give the food response

When I pull my babies I pull them right before we shut the birds room light out, The babies have been fed for the night from mom/dad (I pull at 3 weeks! unless its a emergency) this way Me and the bird(s) start fresh the following day, on the babies terms , i check on it several times a day and when the crop(s) are getting empty, I feed them just a little bit (unless they want more) to show them the syringe gives foods, then 10-20 mins later a little more, and I keep doing it until they either Start bobbing for food, or while in the brooder they start the static crying to be fed

I do not make them eat, If they won't open up at first, i just put a small squirt on their beak and they get a taste of it, but I never make them eat , when they're ready they let me know in the same manner they let their parents know its time to feed them.

now with the budgies I've held their heads with a small amount of pressure, because they are smaller but they still do the entire head bob/feeding response

and once any bird i am hand feeding gets the hang of eating I normally don't even have to use my other hand to cup over their head any more because they realize they get what they want a lot quicker when they're not moving all around and acting like they're hyped up on 10 pounds of sugar :D

and usually once they get older and start perching they're perching on my left hand so I have no free hand to cup their head any more any way

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
That was just to name a few of the things I saw wrong in the first few minutes, not to mention the formula spilling over the sides of its beak. This baby clearly isnt comfortable with this sort of handling and handfeed technique.

She is cleaning the baby, but to me is being too rough while she cleans the baby, too much pressure on that crop can have the baby throw up.

One good thing I can say though, it looks well fed :)

That may be your definition of "wrong". I watched the video a couple of times and I have to agree with BF on this one. I don't see what the fuss is about. That baby was working its tongue and swallowing the whole time. Like Judy said, everyone feeds differently, but that doesn't mean that it's wrong. He looked very healthy and had a nice crop and was cleaned up. So just let it be said, it wasn't the way you would do it, but it doesn't mean she did it wrong. In any case, I don't feel like a first time handfeeder should be learning to handfeed by watching a video. It's great to get an idea, but actually learning should be done hands on with an experienced feeder.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
That video had me on the edge of my seat worrying the baby would aspirate! I agree that it was swallowing however I wonder if it has been eating like this for so long that it is doing it just so that it doesn't aspirate.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That may be your definition of "wrong". I watched the video a couple of times and I have to agree with BF on this one. I don't see what the fuss is about. That baby was working its tongue and swallowing the whole time. Like Judy said, everyone feeds differently, but that doesn't mean that it's wrong. He looked very healthy and had a nice crop and was cleaned up. So just let it be said, it wasn't the way you would do it, but it doesn't mean she did it wrong. In any case, I don't feel like a first time handfeeder should be learning to handfeed by watching a video. It's great to get an idea, but actually learning should be done hands on with an experienced feeder.
I agree that its well fed and clean. But to feed it like that doesnt seem right. Almost 1 full minute without stopping? I know my head spins a little when I chug a bottle of water in less than 20 seconds, but to slowly drink it with no breath for almost a minute? I then imagine me trying to do that with not water but thicker liquids.:faint: You can really stress and tire a baby out by not giving it a break and forcing it like that. And I can imagine that it would have a higher likelihood of aspirating. I personally dont like to hurry handfeeding time like that.

When I handfeed I make sure the baby is 100% comfortable, and I try to be 100% safe.

But each to their own.:shrug3:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have never hand fed a baby bird before. I don't know how to do it or how it should look. I thought that the birds eyes look pretty relaxed and comfortable and I did see his tongue going, but I was uncomfortable that it looked like he was pulling his head back and sort of like he needed a break to maybe swallow what he had. Interesting thread:)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
If you have a problem with the word "wrong" being used in this situation to describe the way that person was hand-feeding in the video, then maybe you will accept the words "there is a better way or ways" to do it which has already been explained numerous times.

It is not acceptable IMO & it is NOT in any baby bird's best interests for everyone/anyone to just say that everyone has their own way of doing things & that is ok because some of those ways will in fact eventually/most likely lead to aspiration of a baby or more than one baby, in time.

Common sense needs to be used by some of these hand-feeders and when a better way is explained to them, they need to get rid of their stubborn attitudes and adopt the better way asap - for the baby bird's sake.

Another point I will bring up again: IMO, with many yrs. of experience hand-feeding numerous ways, I personally feel everyone who plans on hand-feeding should learn asap how to properly/safely crop-feed. Actually, I feel everyone who even keeps a bird or birds should learn how to crop feed and crop medicate or save up big bucks to pay an avian vet to do it, if the time ever comes that it is needed.

I do agree that a first time hand-feeder should not be learning from a video alone.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Another point I will bring up again: IMO, with many yrs. of experience hand-feeding numerous ways, I personally feel everyone who plans on hand-feeding should learn asap how to properly/safely crop-feed. Actually, I feel everyone who even keeps a bird or birds should learn how to crop feed and crop medicate or save up big bucks to pay an avian vet to do it, if the time ever comes that it is needed.
What a great idea! I may be able to get video of how I crop feed Bokka his medicines (I dont need to do that anymore, as he takes medicines quite willingly off the spoon). I also think everyone should know how to crop feed as a "just in case". Birds do get sick, and we parront companion owners, need to be able to hydrate and force feed as needed with a sick bird.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
What is crop feeding? Is that when you feed directly into the crop?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What is crop feeding? Is that when you feed directly into the crop?
Yes. And it is only recommended know when a baby isn't feeding well (like in this video, I personally would have corrected my handfeeding technique or crop fed, to get my desired result), or if a bird is sick (crop feed food, water, medicines).

Many very large breeding facilities (that have hundreds of babies to feed at a time) would crop feed AKA gavage feed. As a temporary thing, its o.k. But to crop feed all the time, healthy babies, just so you can hurry up and feed them and put them back into the brooder and move onto the next 20-100+ babies, isnt great breeding practices. It isnt a recommend handfeeding technique, and is frowned upon by Good breeders.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Oooh.. gavage feed, yes I've heard that term before. I didnt know they were the same thing!

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I would handfeed differently as well. To me, the baby should have a feeding response. The feeding response indicates what a normal bird should have plus it allows the bird to let the handfeeder know when it has had enough.

There were a few times in there that it looked like the baby was trying to move his head up to breath and she continued to put the food in. At the end he looked like he was gasping for breath.

Just my personal opinion, I do not like it. I've handfed and never done it this way before. The only way I've forced something into one of my birds was when they were sick.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
So... because my baby doesn't have a feeding response, does that mean something is wrong with her or me? >.>

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
There is absolutely nothing wrong in that video. Lots of times babies do not actually pump much and as long as the baby is swallowing on his own in which he was, he was doing fine. The good thing is the person did not try to shove it all down his throat as once like some will do. I've had many Pionus babies just sit there and do exactly what that bird was doing.

The gal was not restricting his head and believe it or not, it is hard to hold a head still if they really want to pump vigorously. That syringe was only a 5 cc syringe and it took her some time just to put that amount into him so it was an okay feeding cession. I think she had fed two babies in that video but both birds ate the same way.

Last edited:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
There is absolutely nothing wrong in that video. Lots of times babies do not actually pump much and as long as the baby is swallowing on his own in which he was, he was doing fine. The good thing is the person did not try to shove it all down his throat as once like some will do. I've had many Pionus babies just sit there and do exactly what that bird was doing.

The gal was not restricting his head and believe it or not, it is hard to hold a head still if they really want to pump vigorously. That syringe was only a 5 cc syringe and it took her some time just to put that amount into him so it was an okay feeding cession. I think she had fed two babies in that video but both birds ate the same way.
Great post! I agree.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
"PTB" Would love to see a video of how you feed different birds...I think seeing different practices is good...
and yes I agree, Gavage/crop feeding should be learned from a vet...and have proper equipment on hand to do it when needed:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Just like raising human children there will always be a difference from family to family how they do it. I think people have to accept that there is more than one acceptable way to do things. I would like to see a video of how others do it too. It is educational to see more than one way to do things and then people can make their own informed choice in what they think is the proper way to do it.

Lex123

I have never seen someone hand feed, so I wouldn't know if it is right or wrong. The way I see it, and I live by this motto, 'There are 100 ways to do one thing'. And I know that hand feeding is not to be taken lightly, but if thee babay is healthy, then I don't see the big deal.

Lex123

Just like raising human children there will always be a difference from family to family how they do it. I think people have to accept that there is more than one acceptable way to do things. I would like to see a video of how others do it too. It is educational to see more than one way to do things and then people can make their own informed choice in what they think is the proper way to do it.

I just posted basically the same thing, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.