• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand Taming Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConureDelSol

Sitting on the front steps
Skittles, my Sun Conure, is almost 3 and I'll be honest, I've been neglectful in training him properly. I am now trying to let his wings grow out and in the meantime, I really want to be able to get him into one of his harnesses or a flight suit.

I realize there are techniques to that, but I think making him completely and totally hand tame first would make things so much easier. At this point, he has been practicing his target training, he is comfortable with being stroked on his head, neck and occasionally under the wings. I cannot just pick him up though, he has to step up. He hates laying on his back with a passion. I'd like to be able to be able to hold him, flip him over and have him lay in my hand.

What I've been doing is holding my hand as close as possible to him and if he doesn't bite at it or move away for a good ten seconds or so, I click and give him a treat. I've been doing this for awhile and I don't feel like we're getting anywhere.

Are there any other techniques I can try?

Status
Not open for further replies.