• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand Feeding Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Maybe having the chance to help a fellow bird enthusiast hand feed some blue crown conure chicks. Could use some advice...:heart:

The owner/breeder is going to show me how he does it, but boy wouldn't i love to do some research first!

If you have some favorite links, videos, or books...much appreciated! Thanks! Have read lots of posts here in the forum but haven't found many exterior resources yet. :lol:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Pick my brain - I will be glad to share with you all the knowledge I have. There's nothing better than hands on training, and I am sure this breeder will demonstrate quite a few times before you try it.

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Welp, okay! To start...how much would you typically feed? I've heard of different schedules and feeding on an empty crop once a day, twice, and not at all. I've also heard it done in weights. Do you have a preference that you have seen work for you? These guys will be 2 weeks old when they are pulled from the parents, but knowing how to do it from day 1 would be useful!

How about a method you prefer? Left side of the cheek clearly, but anything else? Do you weigh before and after?

How would you know if you had over fed or even aspirated a baby? is there anything you can do? I tube fed a baby goat once and aspirated her (and I've cared for hundreds, just did it wrong this time) and there was nothing that could be done, so I suspect a bird would be similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.