• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand feeding baby macaw

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Hi! So I got my baby scarlet macaw yesterday,h he’s adorable and I love him so much already. He’s currently on 3 feedings a day, and the breeder sent me some videos and did a demonstration in person on hand feeding(I’ve handled smaller breeds but not macaws) the only thing is the breeder tube feeds him. (Syringe with a tube that goes down the cop) and I don’t feel comfortable doing it that way, it’s a bit scary to me, I hand feed with the syringe,(Very slowly) and I have been watching the videos but I’m noticing my baby makes these weird like breathing noise, almost like aspiration, he doesn’t cough like he’s choking or anything and nothing has happened to him and he seems fine but I’m so scared I’m doing something wrong, should it be making that sound?? I’m feeding with the tube to (his)right side pointing down. Does anyone have any advice on hand feeding?

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
I’m hand feeding with a syringe. I’ll get a video if he does it again,but thankfully He hasn’t done it again so far, I changed the position from where I was feeding him it sounds simple but I think that might’ve helped. Sorry for bothering lol I just I freaked out when he did it, it’s my first time handfeeding a macaw, and don’t want to go wrong with it. But he seems fine now, I’m still keeping a close eye on him.