• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahns or Blue & Gold?

Which Macaw would you pick?

• Hahns

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Blue and Gold

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Ah - still on my never-ending internal battle - should I get a blue & gold or a hahns in the future? I just can't decide!

B&G was always my dream bird. I am in love with the look of a blue & gold and would love to have a large bird. I love the personality of the few that I have met.

On the other hand I have not met a Hahns, but love all the videos & stories I see of them. I'm in love with Mia and a co-worker is always telling me about hers and I am constantly entertained by the stories. I also sometimes think the smaller size might fit in better with the birds I already have. Then again - I don't let them interact anyways so I'm not sure if that is such a big deal.

Never-ending debate with myself.

So - which would you choose? A blue & gold or a hahns and why? If you have one or the other - or both - want to share your likes of dislikes?

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I LOVE the Hahns!! B&G's are pretty and all, but too big for me, LOL And I really do have an attachment to the appearance, voice and temperment of the Hahns - My husband discovered them shortly after we got Pru and says he wishes sometimes that we got one of those instead.....maybe someday :)

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I've never met a Hahn's, although what I see of them here, they're truly delightful.

Wouldn't trade my Ziggy for anyone or anything, though. :D

Barb

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barb
Blue & Golds take it for me !!!! Yes they are large but once they trust and love you there is nothing in the world like it .....:D

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
That's a tough choice. They are both beautiful birds, both can have wonderful personalities! You might just want to weigh out the good and bad concerning size! B&G eats more, needs more room, needs a huge huge cage, has a harder bite (but would probably bite less and they don't try to bite hard unless forced), goes through toys like crazy. If they fly through the house things go everywhere, lots more feathers and down flying around, they need large perches, they scar your skin with their toe nails! I'm sure there is lots more!!
But.......I would go with a B & G. They are sweet, cuddly and when I have a bad day mine will wrap his wings around me and say 'love, love, love you'. And I think he really means it.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
B&G's are a lot to handle. They are very messy, very expensive to upkeep, and very LOUD. They also can bite very hard. Also, you would have to keep it seperate from your birds because it could do a lot of damage, if not kill a smaller bird.
Hahns are more similar to conures so they might fit in better with your flock. They are very funny, and normally very friendly with people and other birds. They are not as noisy, or destructive; and their bites are similar to those of conures and quakers.
Needless to say, I vote Hahns.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have a Hahns a just love him :heart: B&G are my favorites but hubby is afraid of the big beak and I am not sure that I could handle that full volume macaw scream :lol:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah - still on my never-ending internal battle - should I get a blue & gold or a hahns in the future? I just can't decide!

B&G was always my dream bird. I am in love with the look of a blue & gold and would love to have a large bird. I love the personality of the few that I have met.

On the other hand I have not met a Hahns, but love all the videos & stories I see of them. I'm in love with Mia and a co-worker is always telling me about hers and I am constantly entertained by the stories. I also sometimes think the smaller size might fit in better with the birds I already have. Then again - I don't let them interact anyways so I'm not sure if that is such a big deal.

Never-ending debate with myself.

So - which would you choose? A blue & gold or a hahns and why? If you have one or the other - or both - want to share your likes of dislikes?
They are my two favorite species of macaws, and I'm crazy about them both. So, I understand completely why you're torn.

Let's see, if I could only have one...

I'd probably go with the Hahn's. They are much easier to take care of and clean up after, much less expensive to buy toys and supplies for. I also don't feel like they are quite as deprived of a natural life in captivity (assuming they get lots of out time), whereas I always feel sorry for Elvis, even when she's out of her cage.

On the other hand, if you were going to take in a rehome, there's a good argument for taking in a B&G, because good homes for them are so hard to find, and at least you'd know you were providing the best home available. (But, that's not really about what bird is a better companion--that's about whether you want to make a commitment to providing a haven for a large parrot in need).

My B&G is definitely eye candy, and she's sweet (to me), but she's a much bigger issue when people come over. She screams much more loudly, and she scares visitors.

Hahn's can be nippy and a little bratty, but both of my large macaws pinch me occasionally. It's a trade-off between the more frequent nipping and the more bruising but rarer pinches.

There's not a lot of difference in terms of the fun of having them around. Both species can talk and do funny things, and both species can be affectionate (although the large ones have a more intense sort of loyalty or need). The big ones can be so devoted, and it is incredible to give scritches to a large macaw; I won't lie. For me, that sense of wonder never goes away :)

But, I do think the large macaws are more likely to be one-person bonded in a major way once they're out of the baby stage. So, anyone that wants one of the big guys/gals needs to think about what hormones could be like.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
The big ones can be so devoted, and it is incredible to give scritches to a large macaw; I won't lie. For me, that sense of wonder never goes away :)
Yeah, I've had that three times in my life. The first time with Kate, who was a completely feral cat, who gave me her complete trust and devotion, and who was my best friend for 17 years. Then there was Eli, the chocolate lab who had been abused and who was terrified of everyone until he decided to trust me. He died because of my carelessness, after only a year and a half.

And now I have Ziggy. That single minded devotion and complete trust is such a gift, and such a terrible burden if you don't live up to it.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I think it really depends on what size you want... they are both such wonderful birds, the biggest difference to me is size and therefore cost. Are you ready to spend $25-$30 per toy for your feathered termite (B&G) and buy a massive massive cage? A Hahn's would certainly be a bit easier to house and care for. But if a B&G is truly your dream bird, you'll never be satisfied until you have one :)

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Also, Holiday is absolutely correct about the many large macaws in need of homes. I just checked Petfinder, and in the seven pages of macaws currently listed, there are only half a dozen minis. Most of the macaws listed are B&G's.

Joey

Hit the Road
they are both very playful. i've had experience with both and i can say that they both are worth it, but it just depends on you. if you have a lot of space for a b&g and don't mind potentially losing a finger (lol), get it. if you don't have that much space, go for a hahn's. and if you have patience for both and have a lot of space, get both.. if they get along. :3

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I've had both. And if I could only have ONE, it'd be a Hahns. Mia is so insightful and so funny... I just love being in her presence. She's a comedian! She can be moody and she can nip but at it causes a lot less damage than a macaw. As far as toys- it's MUCH easier to keep a Hahns happy! Space wise too. I felt uncomfortable letting Summer be flighted indoors but have NO problem letting Mia fly around. She's definitely a 1 person bird. No doubt about that. But she's talkative with everyone!! People just have to enjoy her from a little distance :) She'll only step up for me and my mom!

I can go on forever about her, but she's magical! I just love everything about that little stinker!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm gonna say Hahn's. They're definitely a favorite of mine, and at the top of my dream bird list.. only they're far too much money and I won't be able to afford one for many years.

I haven't met one personally, unfortunately.. but from watching video after video of them on YouTube, they make me fall in love with them over and over again.

NOT that I don't like B&Gs, or that I would never get one (totally wishful thinking - they're triple the money of what a Hahn's is), I find B&Gs to also be completely and utterly adorable, they're another bird I would really love to have, even if it was a rescue or rehome.

crystalsfids

Meeting neighbors
I picked Blue and Gold..but that is also a bias poll on my behalf. I absolutely adore my Lola and Harley and have never had a Hahns here that gave me the same sense of companionship. The only hahns I have really been in contact with was a wild caught senior that was not interested in human contact.

My decision was based on my experience with both species and not from a point of view where I have equal experience with both...Does that make sense or am i rambling? LOL

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Both duh! :lol: :rofl:

Our Hahns is nippy but super funny and talkative and playful. Our B&G so far is playful but headstrong and stubborn but he's a baby and is learning boundaries :D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our B&G so far is playful but headstrong and stubborn but he's a baby and is learning boundaries :D
Yeah, that whole stubborn thing isn't gonna change much :hehe:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

Yeah, that whole stubborn thing isn't gonna change much :hehe:
I kind of figured that :lol: I just didn't want to give anyone the impression that I was a pro on B&G's since ours has only been with us for a week and a half :D

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I love the little Hahns...but you've got a clown on your hands already with your sun :D If B&G has always been your dream bird, I would go there.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Thanks for all the point of views! Unfortunately I'm still majorly debating. At least I'm not in a rush to get one right this instant so I have some more time to debate. Look forward to more feedback from others!

Status
Not open for further replies.