• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahn's macaw, lorikeet or pass

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been offered either a Hahn's macaw about 3 years old or a lorikeet. There are two lorikeets and they are both being handfed now.
I've seen the birds because the person (my birds' vet) is trying to tempt me. I probably should pass but I'm considering.
Don't know much about Hahn's and, as for Lorikeets I know they squirt a lot and that is not something that I necessarily want to deal with.
Only saw one of the Lori babies. The Lori is very cute, gentle and sweet. Not sure if the Hahn's is a biter or not. He is vocal and seemed to
be able to talk a little bit. I didn't try to get him to step up because I was there with my other birds and didn't want to handle him.
I did visit with him in a separate room. Anyone with experience with Hahn's and Lorikeets provide some info?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have no experience with hahns but only their slightly bigger cousin, an Illigers.
From what I know most minis tend to form strong bonds with one person and be less social with other people when given the chance.
In general social with other birds.
Nippy is what I read a lot about hahns(I find more info in them the Illigers and closely related yellow collared) but on the other hand from talking with yellow collared people and some Illigers, they don’t typically have bad bites/bite down hard. The nips of my illie barely leave a mark, strong nip is gone after a few minutes. A bite from him is mild to strong bruising so far with a small puncture wound, he really meant some of the bites he gave me but he doesn’t gnaw on and make you bleed. He gnawed on my finger once, holding on, there was no blood bath to my surprise. He nipped/bit my partner only once, tip of his index finger and that bled like crazy, only a small wound though. (He probably sounds like a terror and we get ourselves bitten daily, it’s not like that thankfully)
My boy is a rehome though and for normal behaviours, I can’t really comment as he is quite messed up. Baby/well raised Illigers are typically very active, playful, funny birds and can be loving but a lot of them start not wanting scritches and such when they mature. Not all, but it is a tendency in what I read.
Not sure how useful this is for you about hahns, but just throwing the info out there in case it helps you. I remember from reading hahns seem more hands on then Illigers.

Is this the same vet that offered the Lilac crowned some years back?:roflmao:

@Mizzely @zoo mom @SumitaSinh have or had hahns, not sure who else.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Hahns was not social with other birds.

Gizmo was super easy to read to avoid bites. She was very bonded with me, but was social with other people, but didn't like hands at all.

Definitely could be loud!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. Don't want a bird that will be aggressive towards other birds. The Hahn's was only dropped off the other day so I'm sure that he is not happy right now with the change. I do believe
that he came from a one bird household. I know nothing about his personality. Of course, the Lori is just developing a personality. Even though I know that a Hahn's is a mini macaw I thought he would be a little larger. So sad that he needs to be rehomed. Also I have 'toos and 'tiels and am concerned about possible pulmonary sensitivity with the macaw. I do have air purifiers running 24/7 and would place
him in a room away from them. When I look at the mini macaws and my dusky conure I keep thinking that the dusky should also be an Ara rather than an Aratinga. Just looks more Ara-like, IMO. He is a mini-mini macaw. ;)

Discussed with a friend who reminded me that another bird = more vet bills, another cage and if I get the Lori another type of food other than what I am now feeding.
However, if I was offered a Poicephalus I would probably jump at the chance. Asked the vet if she had a Cape Parrot available....haha. Forgot to ask if she had any Ruppell's. :D

@TikiMyn Yes, same vet. The Lilac Crowned would have fit in quite well with my current flock.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My Hahns has a slight preference for me but he will go to my husband. He can be a little nippy at times but usually only if you do something he doesn't like. He can be very loud at times but it is not constant. His bite hurts because he has a needle sharp beak.

If I had the money, time, and space I would llove another Hahns.

I have no experience with lorikeets.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd choose the Hahns over the Lorikeet personally mostly because of the mess and differences in having that species with the rest of your flock. If you can afford another vet bill and have the space and time I say go for it. If not maybe you could post his/her info on here and see if anyone could be a good match?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Hahns has a slight preference for me but he will go to my husband. He can be a little nippy at times but usually only if you do something he doesn't like. He can be very loud at times but it is not constant. His bite hurts because he has a needle sharp beak.

If I had the money, time, and space I would llove another Hahns.

I have no experience with lorikeets.
You also have a 'too so do you have any issue with dust and the Hahn's. I've read that this is not as much of a concern with the mini macaws as it is with the larger ones.
I'm still debating about getting the Hahn's. My space here is limited and I've been paying a lot of vet bills lately.

I'd choose the Hahns over the Lorikeet personally mostly because of the mess and differences in having that species with the rest of your flock. If you can afford another vet bill and have the space and time I say go for it. If not maybe you could post his/her info on here and see if anyone could be a good match?
Not able to post info here about the Hahn's. Any available birds are generally adopted out to vets' clients. Thought the Lorikeet could hang out near the 'tiels since they are all aussies whereas not sure where I would put the Hahn's. However, not thrilled about the squirting and the nectar/fruit. When I've left fruit in downstairs birds' cages that has attracted ants. YUCK Also not sure about the 'tiels and 'toos and a Hahn's due to the dust. Did read that sensitivity issue is not as much a concern with the mini macaws as it is with the larger ones.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My understanding is that lories can't have seed. Someone correct me if I am wrong. So in addition to his specialized diet, you would need to make sure the lorie doesn't have access to your other birds' food if they eat any seed.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
You also have a 'too so do you have any issue with dust and the Hahn's. I've read that this is not as much of a concern with the mini macaws as it is with the larger ones.
I'm still debating about getting the Hahn's. My space here is limited and I've been paying a lot of vet bills lately.

Not able to post info here about the Hahn's. Any available birds are generally adopted out to vets' clients. Thought the Lorikeet could hang out near the 'tiels since they are all aussies whereas not sure where I would put the Hahn's. However, not thrilled about the squirting and the nectar/fruit. When I've left fruit in downstairs birds' cages that has attracted ants. YUCK Also not sure about the 'tiels and 'toos and a Hahn's due to the dust. Did read that sensitivity issue is not as much a concern with the mini macaws as it is with the larger ones.
I have not had any issues but I have 2 hepa air purifiers in the birds room.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hahaha you just want to see the mess my pestaa (hahns) makes everyday! I think he's as destructive as a big Mac!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My understanding is that lories can't have seed. Someone correct me if I am wrong. So in addition to his specialized diet, you would need to make sure the lorie doesn't have access to your other birds' food if they eat any seed.
I think they can eat a few seeds but it's not their main diet and, if they get any, it should probably be very limited.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have not had any issues but I have 2 hepa air purifiers in the birds room.
I have one air purifier in main bird room, one in primary bedroom where there are also birds and one in living room/dining room and there are also birds there.
They are everywhere. :D

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
I have a Hahn’s but she came from a hoarding situation and I know very little of her background, but suspect she was a breeder. She is not aggressive toward other birds, but doesn’t really care to socialize. I don’t let birds out at the same time anyway. Years ago we had a lory, and he was lots of fun. If you are pretty diligent about wiping things up daily, the poo wasnt a big deal. He did bond more with my husband, but would interact with me — though if we were together, Skippy always went after me to protect my hubs. Which was not always appreciated. We got him as a baby.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a Hahn’s but she came from a hoarding situation and I know very little of her background, but suspect she was a breeder. She is not aggressive toward other birds, but doesn’t really care to socialize. I don’t let birds out at the same time anyway. Years ago we had a lory, and he was lots of fun. If you are pretty diligent about wiping things up daily, the poo wasnt a big deal. He did bond more with my husband, but would interact with me — though if we were together, Skippy always went after me to protect my hubs. Which was not always appreciated. We got him as a baby.
Thanks. Still not sure if I am going to get one of the birds. I think I have my hands full with my current flock. Still mulling it over, though.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an 8yo hahns that I’ve had since she was a baby. She is playful, funny, curious, talkative, and smart. She is also posessive, bitey, not a fan of hands, and a huge mischief maker. Her personality is very typical for a mini macaw.
I want to know more about her, please. I got my hahns (an adult male) only three months ago. I'm trying to gather more information. He has not shown signs of his intelligence yet, but I think he's just observing everything. Do they have a lot of attitude?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Hahn's is still available. Had blood work done and results that they got so far were good. They are still waiting for results from additional tests. Was at the vet's office yesterday and she wanted to know if I wished to visit with the Hahn's again but I didn't do that.