• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Had my eyes opened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
You clearly love your bird very much and want his quality of life to be the best it can be. Don't worry this this will be a negative experience for him because that simply isn't true. If he's been fully flighted for a long time he just needs to learn to be resourceful for a few months until his feathers grow back in. This is a POSITIVE chance for him to LEARN. He will be doing a lot more climbing which is wonderful excersize and will keep him busy. Try purchasing a few of the longest wooden ladders you can find and prop them so that he can get from one place to another safely, say for example between the cage and his play stand. You can also tie up some thick untreated rope for him to climb across. You will be creating a jungle gym for him to explore using senses he's never used before. You can take on the role of teacher and encourage this exploring behavior. This will help strengthen your bond with him and you will be getting what you wanted out of the situation: a better relationship. :hug8:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
doll
two of my birds came to me clipped both could still fly.
Gryphon was not clipped. I will not clip my birds anymore i can't say the two who were clipped are "more" bonded to me because they were clipped, but they are more bonded. It might be that it is because they were hand raised, i don't know.

I just wanted to say that i know you have mango's best interest at heart. Clipping is not permanent and i don't see how it will make your relationship any worse really.

I think you will find that you really already had a wonderful bond with mango and the
clipping didn't really change a thing one way or the other.

Wishing you mango the best!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
hun im happy with what mango has given me im not happy at what i have given him i want to give him more and i cant if he cant know what his full life can hold
tonight for the first time him and me did dishes togather he sat content on my shoulder as i washed dishes
he hates me to do anything while hes up he just wants me sitting so he can be close by
i have tryed he will find ways to get me to stop bugging me is one and squaking is another , i didnt force him tonight he just seemed comfortable , i had placed a chair close so he could have gone there but he didnt so i feel i made one change no i dont say it will continue but hopping it will
hugsssssssss doll mango

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
That is great
Amos and Harley both like to do chores with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
you clearly love your bird very much and want his quality of life to be the best it can be. Don't worry this this will be a negative experience for him because that simply isn't true. If he's been fully flighted for a long time he just needs to learn to be resourceful for a few months until his feathers grow back in. This is a positive chance for him to learn. He will be doing a lot more climbing which is wonderful excersize and will keep him busy. Try purchasing a few of the longest wooden ladders you can find and prop them so that he can get from one place to another safely, say for example between the cage and his play stand. You can also tie up some thick untreated rope for him to climb across. You will be creating a jungle gym for him to explore using senses he's never used before. You can take on the role of teacher and encourage this exploring behavior. This will help strengthen your bond with him and you will be getting what you wanted out of the situation: A better relationship. :hug8:
thanks but his play area is all with in reach he can reach his net from his cage and his tree from his net he climbs down long toys lol he has a wonderfull set up from cage he can get to the hope chest with his piano and other musical toys on it and from his cage he can go from 1 hanging toy to another and those he cant reach i have lastic chain i can drape across
im just trying to give back what he has given me a full life , theres so much missing in his and hopping clipping he will find it and yes he will be full flighted again this is a one shot deal

thanks hun hugssssss doll mango

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i personally dont think you did anything wrong. I had to clip kimba's wings when i first got him because he wouldnt come near me otherwise. He would fly off and catching him was just awful. He would often go into dakota (the cockatoo's) cage and that was just dangerous. Now, only a few months later, he will step up onto a t perch for me and let me pet him. Personally, i think it is the best choice i ever made. I might have to clip yoshi because he has been using his wings in the same way: Don't want to go back in the cage, so i'll fly away lol. Catching him is so much more stressful than it has to be, so i feel i might have to do it. So your decision, especially one to get closer to your bird, i think is honorable. No, his life was not bad before, but maybe it will improve now. If not, if he was better off with flight, it will grow back by the end of the year. If it was a permanent choice it may be more nerve-wracking, but since its temporary i think its perfectly ok to try. Things could get so much better for you two, and since you are each other's lives, then that would just be incredible!

I hope everything works out great with mango and you two have some great experiences with this new change. I am sure he will grow used to it soon enough.
thanks but a lot think our life is great and there right but i want him to have more so im trying this im very lucky hes the type of bird he is he forgive easy some times i dont think he knows hes a bird,,lol so by clipping im hopping to enrich his life and in so doing bond
stronger
thanks hun hugsssssss doll mango

Status
Not open for further replies.