• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guys, i need advice

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
We do have their number, i asked my mom to ask how she's doing, she said she would soon, but I'm dying to know really.
Tell your mum to ask if these people have an instagram or facebook or something where you can connect and you will see pictures etc

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Seeing pictures of her would make it easier.
It really will.
I was very happy giving two chicks to my friend. I knew my friend would give the first two chicks a great life and she is always posting about them on facebook and she sends me videos.

But I struggled giving the last chick away. I listed him for sale numerous times but didn´t respond to people offering to buy him. I listed him for free on facebook and but didn´t respond to that either. I didn´t feel right and I didn´t even want money. I remembered the neighbour has a lovebird so I took the chick to her, and unfortunately she didn´t want thim but put me in touch with her friend who has a lovebird. I met her and her husband and they were nice people, I have their phonenumber and we keep in touch. It really made me feel better having contact with them. I told them I didn´t want money, all I wanted is to know the birds name.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've now lost my 3 cats, and dog. They've all gone to loving homes, in Tanzania. I'm so far now, I'm in France. I wish I could give my cats one last kiss... Or my dog one last belly rub. It's too late now, I've left. I miss them terribly, but at least I know they are safe, and happy.

Echo our dog made friends with his new brother really fast, he's been going on walks, eating a whole lot of treats, and from the sounds of it having a great time.

The big 2 cats are still a little shy.

The kitten has probably forgot me by now :(
But at least she's happy.

Guys this is so hard, my babies are gone, not just my FIDS but even my fur kids :'(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Judie :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

I am so sorry. I know how hard it is (my parents gave my dog away when I was 10). You have no control over the situation. My heart hurts for you.

I dislike people who think its okay to rehome pets and then buy a new pet a few months later. Its not right pets are family not just items in the house you can replace!
This is a dire situation - the family has to leave with only a few belongings! Can you imagine running away like that? Try to think about it.
A lot of you are confused about why we have to rehome our pets, why my parents would do that, let's just say it wasn't any easy decision.

But if we stay, our family might fall apart.
You did not have to share the details. Thank you for trying to explain it. I’m afraid many members here are not able to understand that life is different in some countries than others and that there is a lot of danger attached to missionary work. I apologize for the lack of empathy on this forum. :(

I´d die before I give up Jacob. Not for nothing, or no one. He stays with me ´til death do us part - literally.

Your parents are supposed to be responsible adults, yet are acting like kids wanting pets and not thinking of the future.

The best thing is your family not getting pets until they are settled, years down the road.

Maybe you can help to make them see sense. Why get another cat and dog, just to rehome in a year when you all move again.
Zara, this is the 2nd time you have jumped on someone because of a situation that is taking place in a different country than yours ,where living situations and pets and bird cages and veterinarians — are completely different than where you are.

GUYS.
The OP is coming here because we are the ones who would understand....yet the entire forum is jumping on the “I would never do that” bandwagon. I hate this herd mentality. You don’t know whether you’d do it or not! Until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes, don’t judge.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Judie :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

I am so sorry. I know how hard it is (my parents gave my dog away when I was 10). You have no control over the situation. My heart hurts for you.

This is a dire situation - the family has to leave with only a few belongings! Can you imagine running away like that? Try to think about it.

You did not have to share the details. Thank you for trying to explain it. I’m afraid many members here are not able to understand that life is different in some countries than others and that there is a lot of danger attached to missionary work. I apologize for the lack of empathy on this forum. :(

Zara, this is the 2nd time you have jumped on someone because of a situation that is taking place in a different country than yours ,where living situations and pets and bird cages and veterinarians — are completely different than where you are.

GUYS.
The OP is coming here because we are the ones who would understand....yet the entire forum is jumping on the “I would never do that” bandwagon. I hate this herd mentality. You don’t know whether you’d do it or not! Until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes, don’t judge.
:heart: thank you

Our friends tried bringing their dog home with them, and he died in the transport :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Zara, this is the 2nd time you have jumped on someone
I didn´t jump on anyone. I gave my opinion.

in a different country than yours
I don´t know which country you refer to because I don´t live in my home country.
Regardless, my comment would have been the same if this happened in the country I live now or my home country.

Also, I would like to add that I´ve had conversations with Judie. She knows I have no ill feeling towards her and I´m only looking out for the animals in the situation, and ultimately her, as she will be the one suffering when animals are rehomed as you can see by her comment today.
It is unfortunate that she had no control in the situation yet she is the one left heartbroken.
Luckily she and her family will be settled soon so hopefully won´t have to experience this again.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Zara,

Some of your opinions in this thread did really hurt. I felt bad for a while, but when I talked to you, I feel better cause you did mean well. I think there may have been a lot of misunderstanding in this thread, which is why when I had questions, I felt I had to ask them secretly cause I didn't know what you guys would think of me.

I really do appreciate this forum, everyone is really nice, but I think a lot of time messages go off wrong and cause a lot of misunderstanding. But I think we all have a common goal here, and maybe get carried away sometimes.

Zara I think you did the right thing, you gave your best thoughts on the information I gave. I am quite heart broken, I wish I could've avoided this, but there was a chance they could've died in transport which I would feel so guilty from that and it could've been worse. Thank you for looking out for me, and my pets :)

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry you had to give away your pets. Growing up I also had to give up many beloved pets, and it's never easy. In the end I can see why your parents had to do it. It isn't fair for any of you guys, but life can be tough sometimes. It might be unwise and questionable to suggest getting a new pet so soon, but it seems they are just doing it out of love. I'm sure they are lovely people :D:)

I feel really uncomfortable seeing people criticise your parents without knowing them, or ever having experienced anything like that. I understand people want to do best by the animals, but this kind of talk is not helping, and if it were me on the receiving end it would make me feel infinitely worse.

In the end they aren't going to put their pets' lives over the safety of their family and children. On top of that, dragging the animals across the world and risking their lives when they would be just as happy with another family is unfair. Not everyone is comfortable with risking a pet's life.

In the end you came here for advice (not to complain about your parents) and I feel that is what we should focus on.

Unfortunately it is probably too soon to consider getting birds. I also waited a while before getting mine because I wanted to be sure it was the right choice for me and the birds. As suggested, volunteering at animal shelters is a great idea. Or even pick up a job pet sitting, or dog walking? Or let any new friends know you'd be up for helping out if they need it?

Incidentally, I think you did make it clear that you meant getting pets after your time in Canada, just in case anyone still had the wrong end of the stick.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Everyone please stop and reread what you have written before you post. Please keep in mind that this member is a minor and many decisions are made for her, not by her.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don´t know which country you refer to because I don´t live in my home country.
All I have to go on is your info below your avatar, which says Spain/UK. Judie's post says they're in Tanzania headed to Canada. Those don't sound the same to me. I'm in US but people here seem to assume that all countries have the same luxuries that we do, which is simply not the case.

I don't know why people can't be more understanding of differences that exist in foreign countries. Are we that naive? (in general, @Zara, not you)

I feel really uncomfortable seeing people criticise your parents without knowing them, or ever having experienced anything like that. I understand people want to do best by the animals, but this kind of talk is not helping, and if it were me on the receiving end it would make me feel infinitely worse.
Completely agree.

n the end you came here for advice (not to complain about your parents) and I feel that is what we should focus on.
Yes! Focus on the person we have here not the ones we wish we could influence. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I want to stress this is not a criticism or cut down of you and your family. It is simply My thoughts as a person on the outside looking in.
And yet, that's exactly what it is.

I am so glad when my kids were young that we didn't have forums where they could go and people could say your mom is a jerk, irresponsible etc etc.

Poor parrotlover101. :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for what you are going through, and I’m glad your pets are at least in good homes and seem happy.
:sadhug2:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Wow. That's a whole lot for anyone to deal with, not including the pet situation. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I think waiting on pets is a very wise choice, that would only lead to more heartbreak later if you chose to get more pets and have to leave them again.

I don't know exactly what you are going through but I had a somewhat similar scenario, when I was about 6 or so I came out of school to my parents telling me they put down our dog while I was at school. I know now that she was old and sick, and she was suffering. But I never got to say goodbye, I never got to tell her I loved her. It still hurts my soul all these years later.

I can't imagine what you must be feeling, mourning the loss of your pets while they are still alive, wondering how they are being cared for but powerless to do anything.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I hope your situation improves soon and that you are able to settle down somewhere.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone

I would just like to give a little update, I was quite tired yesterday and didn't get a chance,

My parents are no longer missionaries and we are settling in Canada now. I think there is another thread about this. It was like I have exciting news! I think. (I would put a link but I'm on my phone)

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am a little confused. :confused: I thought you were already looking for a volunteer opportunity in Canada. I remember you expressing that you couldn't get one because of your age. Now you are in France? :blink:
I feel that you haven't been forthcoming of your situation. It is ok if you haven't it is your choice. Being a minor I suppose we should take all of the post with a grain of salt. :huh:

The fact is you lost your babies and your companions, perhaps you didn't have a choice. You don't need to tell us more than that. We have all had hard times with our pets and family one time or another. I am sorry you are missing your companions, feather and fur family members. It is really hard to say goodbye. It sounds like you have a bright future. I hope you get yourself in a more secure situation soon. :sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This whole thread was so saddening.

I’m pleased to hear you guys have settled for what sounds like it will be a much longer time than you’ve previously experienced.
I hope you make many new friends and find some comfort in knowing the safety and security of being HOME.

:hug8:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you :hug8:

I am a little confused. :confused: I thought you were already looking for a volunteer opportunity in Canada. I remember you expressing that you couldn't get one because of your age. Now you are in France? :blink:
I feel that you haven't been forthcoming of your situation. It is ok if you haven't it is your choice. Being a minor I suppose we should take all of the post with a grain of salt. :huh:

The fact is you lost your babies and your companions, perhaps you didn't have a choice. You don't need to tell us more than that. We have all had hard times with our pets and family one time or another. I am sorry you are missing your companions, feather and fur family members. It is really hard to say goodbye. It sounds like you have a bright future. I hope you get yourself in a more secure situation soon. :sadhug2:
Oh I see, I guess I jumped a little there,

Well I've been posting in multiple threads updates so it's a little messed up, but the France thing? France is halfway back, we have a stay over in France I'm in the move RN lol I had been looking for a volunteer program through the internet, from Africa. Sorry I'm a little unorganized apparently....

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you :hug8:

Oh I see, I guess I jumped a little there,

Well I've been posting in multiple threads updates so it's a little messed up, but the France thing? France is halfway back, we have a stay over in France I'm in the move RN lol I had been looking for a volunteer program through the internet, from Africa. Sorry I'm a little unorganized apparently....

I don’t think it matters where you are or what you’re doing, your heart is in the right place and that’s what counts. :)