• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guess what hubby bought me for Mothers Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celia58

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
A pair of Zebra finches.OMG, they are the cutest, tiniest,squeekiest little guys ever..
I had an extra cage that they are in for now(30long x18x18).Its got plenty of side to side space for this pair so they can stay in it for awhile..Its just not the best looking cage because its missing the pan and has a homemade rig set up for the pan..So instead of an aviary I will just have this little pair and get them a pretty cage of some kind.
Ive named the male Chirp and the female Peep

Im a bit concerned that the little female seems to have a small patch of feathers missing from the back of her neck.Its hard to tell because they dont sit still long enough to really get a good look.Otherwise Ive seen them both drink and they loved the millet spray I put in too..They sound so cute, even my grown son was impressed when he came over to look at them.He doesnt care for the parrots but thought these guys were really cool..

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a lovely gift..I desperately miss our little Fletcher..loved his meeps. would love to see pics..by the way they love toys..we hung a little mirror and few other toys in the cage and Fletcher loved it..they also like veggies...Fletcher loved broccoli and rice...keep an eye on the female..the male might be plucking her..it happens sometimes, in which case you would have to separate them..so keep an eye on them..though it could be that she was being plucked by another finch at the pet store they came from

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Awe congrats on the new fids :D

Celia58

Avenue Veteran
Thanks..Do you chop up the veggies in tiny little pieces or leave them whole?
They seem so far to like each other, they were cuddled up together last night.Ive got the cage half covered with a towel for now so cant really see them except when I walk over.I didnt think they liked toys.I guess I will have to get some.I have several branches(we utilize the trees in our yard) and the food and water dishes and a millet spray in there and thats it.Does look rather barren.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hi, Doris--aren't finches the most cheerful sounding things--what a kind gift from your husband! I have 1 finch, a green singing finch (serinus mozambicus.) Am thinking of getting a female for him, as they can be very aggressive to other males. What do you feed your zebras? My little guy eats canary/finch seed & very finely shredded romain lettuce, plus chickweed (which isn't growing yet.) Some finches & canaries will eat nibbles out of chunks of veggies stuck between cage bars (carrots, broccoli), while others want their veggies finely chopped. Anne knows a lot about 'littles' & has given me some very good advice. Good luck, I love finches as well as parrots, & enjoy talking & reading about them :)

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
on the veggies...try both ways....WE also used to put a big stick of broccoli into the cage bar, with the broccoli flower sticking out and both Charlotte (our canary who lived with Fletcher) and Fletcher used to go crazy..We put an extra food dish in their cage just for veggies etc..and we also had one at the cage bottom that we put stuff like rice, eggs etc in...if they are cuddled up togther , they definitely love each other..so the plucking may be from other finches that were at the pet store....they also love hanging baskets...they are baskets with shreddables inside and you can stick food in them.....I sure miss little Fletcher..He was such a dolliekins...

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
That's awesome! Congrats! So nice of hubby.:)

Kathy N

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yay for you! They are the cutest little things. I had some years ago. Wait til you notice the Woody Woodpecker noise they make. You have to listen for it but they make it. Hahahaha HA hahahaha HA only more of a beep, but the same cadence.

Silhouette Singer

Meeting neighbors
What a thoughtful and loving Hubby to buy you some Finches! Zebra finches are so fun and active and vocal but with only two it shouldn't drive you nuts. Finches love swings and also tiny bells and beads to play with. You could consider adding a little bit of artificial greenery (like Ivy strands that you can find at the Dollar store or Walmart) to the top of the cage (inside or out) to make it look more natural. But they still need some good flying space.

When I grate my carrots and broccoli my Finches know that sound and start getting excited because they know what is coming! :dance5:You could also put in a small piece of 12 grain bread (moistened) and sprinkle some seeds on it. My Finches love that treat. And if you have any Dandelions around throw a couple in the cage.....mine always loved nibbling and playing with them. Be sure to rinse them off well first to get any bugs out.

And like Kathy N said....they have the neatest Woody Woodpecker sound! :)

Good luck with Chirp and Peep.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Congrats! How sweet of hubby to give you a gift of them. All great advice on the veggies. My Kismet also likes organic apple and scrambled eggs.

Celia58

Avenue Veteran
Well they have built a nest...How fun is this.I never knew it was the male that chose and built the nest.
He did all the work then she checks it out every now and again. I put in cotton balls all shredded., some cut dry grass.I also sat and cut thin strips of paper toweling and they used every bit of everything I put in there.
So cute how the male carries that stuff around in his beak.

Oh and BTW the female devoured the broccoli I put in.I just stuffed a stalk in the cage bars.So thanks for that idea..I was hoping to get them into a new cage soon but if they have eggs Ill have to wait.

Last edited:

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Congrats!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
They sound delightful! Congratulations!

Celia58

Avenue Veteran
Seems the little female just doesnt like his nest.He keeps putting more and more stuff in it.Even dragging around a big old branch I put in for them to nibble the mulberry leaves off. But she wont have anything to do with the nest now, even after sleeping in it one night when it was empty.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congrats on your pair, enjoy them! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.