• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gryphon Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I knew he would crack.:D
As some of you know, my DH was pretty set on no more birds. I have been concerned, because Gryphon's eagerness to eat, especially certain foods, has fallen way off from when he arrived here in December. Yesterday he barely ate anything.:( So when I came home with Troy from work, I mentioned I was going to have to take Gryphon out to feed him. He will take the things he refuses to eat on his own if I offer and hold them for him, like blueberries. So Troy asked me is this why I wanted another? I said yes, I have been very worried that Gryphon is such a social bird, he needs a buddy to encourage him to eat right. So then he asked if any were available? He knows how hard they are to find. I told him I hadn't really pushed the question with Susanne, because I hadn't thought he would agree. He said, well look into it, and make it so.:)
So I called Susanne, we spoke and she is hopeful I will be able to take one of the babies in about six weeks!:laughing12:
Hopefully this one:p

I am so excited...:dancing: And a plus..I will get to see Susanne again, and this time I am leaving early, and in better weather.
A funny thing to note~ While I was discussing this with Susanne, Gryphon was on the front of my shirt. I told her to say something to him over the phone. You should have seen that crest go erect! He knows his former mouse mama well.:lol:

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So DH folded! That's great he has concern for Gryphon. I lol when I saw that baby picture! That big gape and his little tongue resting on the bar, too funny! I hope you can get Gryphon to eat on his own. It is always a worry.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations...another one...my goodness who could resist that little cute picture.:hehe:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
LOL...That Gryphon is spoiled rotton.

There will be 2 BN babies. The one I am feeding now and the fostered chick, which I will be pulling soon for handfeeding. As mentioned on the phone I have to sex them first. I have to keep a little female for Chubbs, or later for one of my bachelors. And told Carole that I could only let go of the little boys right now.

It sounds like Gryphon has been used to competing for food in the group flight he was in and now that he is a lone mouser eating is not as fun anymore. Carole has been monitoring what he eats and many times she has had to hold his food and he will eat it. He is an adult, but it sounds like he has relapsed into being a baby mouser again.

It will be great to see Carole again!

I burst out laughing when I scrolled down the page and seen the pix of Jaws and that tongue :) The little one is a good eater. When it is done the head goes down and it prtetends to be asleep, which is the signal that it is done :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats Carole!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Carole, I just pulled the little fostered BN...it is 10 days old. It is a chunky little baby and is a gram heavier than Chubs was at this age...and it is only 4 grams lighter than the BN baby I am feeding. I'm suspecting that I will have a male and a female...this is just going by body feel, which which the WB there is a definite feel to body types and weights between sexes.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you everyone!!:hug8: Susanne, when will they be sexed?:)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thank you everyone!!:hug8: Susanne, when will they be sexed?:)
----------------------------------

Around March 3rd the SS check comes in so I will be sexing all of the mouser babies then :) I have the forms filled out, and in another few days the littlest BN will have some chest feathers grown out enough to pull for sexing. I'll send the sexing stuff to Avian Biotech the end of the month so that it is there in time for them drawing funds from the Debit card.

I can't wait to see what each of these littles ones are going to be.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So DH folded! That's great he has concern for Gryphon. I lol when I saw that baby picture! That big gape and his little tongue resting on the bar, too funny! I hope you can get Gryphon to eat on his own. It is always a worry.
See the other thread..it's all Susanne's fault.:lol:
Yes, DH does have a soft side. One of the reasons I knew he was the one for me. :)

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Yay! How exciting! Can't wait to hear how soon Gryphon will be getting a budy.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I will let Susanne tell the news, but todays' events are bad news for Gryphon...:(

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
i hope that it is nothing worse than all the babes being the wrong sex

hope nothing has happened over there :eek:

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
#
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
Label#
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,
Arial]
Species
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]
BirdID
Sex
1​
'11386061​
Blue-naped Mousebird​
' 24R-FL-10-44​
'Female​
2​
'11386021​
Blue-naped Mousebird​
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,
Arial]
' 24R-FL-10-43​
'Female​
3​
'11386347​
White-backed Mousebird​
' 24R-FL-10-42​
'Female​
4​
'11386024​
White-backed Mousebird​
' 24R-FL-10-41​
'Female​
[/FONT]

I got the results back on the mousebirds I had sexed. I needed male white-backed and more females...sigh.

And I was hoping for at least 1 BN female, and a male for Gryphon and both BN babies turned out to be females, which I have been desperate for. Poor Gryphon has to wait until the next clutch, (the BN are on eggs) or see if Chubbs and Gryphon would get along. I let Chubbs go wild though.[/FONT]

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad that all is well in your corner of the world except for an excess of girlies :)

sending boy vibes to the next clutch ;)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yikes!...with the WB over a year ago I was hoping for females and got males, and now I have excess females.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Well..a good update tonight!
Billie Faye made this thing to put Gryphon's heat pad in, so it would sit vertically in his cage. It's like a pocket made of faux fur. We laughingly were calling it 'the rat'..because it is brown. Well Gryphon was terrified of it,and hasn't gone near it. Until tonight.:D
I just went in to cover everyone, the room is pitch dark, I took him from the top where he was hanging, and placed him on it, and he stayed!:yah:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ah...I bet he looks so sweet. You'll have to get a pix of him on it. I did an update on the handfeeding mousebirds thread and the bratty babies are snuggled on their unstuffed animal skin :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I just peeked with a flashlight and Gryphon is still attached to the 'rat'!:laughing12::) Success! Thanks BF for the wonderful idea, and sewing it up and sending it to us.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.