• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gross Necropsy Results for Maddie

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I posted this in her memorial thread also, but in case people were curious and didn't read all of the posts in the other thread.
The vet did a gross necropsy (just looking, no tests) and said that her ovaries were twisted and hemoraging. She said that she was severly anemic, even more so than Monday. She said all of her organs were pale from the blood loss, and there would have been nothing we could have done to save her due to her size. She's not sure why they became twisted but said that it could have been due to laying so many eggs in such a short period of time. She also said she could have had an underline problem with her blood or bone marrow. She said that she is not going to send any tests into the lab because she does not believe this was disease related and it was not anything contagious.
She did not mention anything about the potential foreign body but I can ask her about it when i pick up her ashes. She was also going to pull some feathers and make a little clay foot print impression for me. She's an awesome vet. She let me sit there in a room with her for an hour and a half while they were cleaning up the surgery and I was waiting for a friend to come to be with me when it happened. Maddie actually died just from being under anesthesia (they gas them down first before injecting), she did not even need to give her an injection because she was so weak. She said it was rare for a bird to overdose from anesthesia so she was probably dying anyways.
At one point when I was sitting with Maddie, she realized I was upset (I was bawling) and started nibbling my hand. She was so out of it, but she still found the strength to comfort me. I took it as her telling me that she was okay with death and that she had accepted it. Like she was telling me that I was making the right decision.
This was just so sudden and unexpected. Up until Saturday she was completely fine and seemed so healthy. With most of my other pets, they have been old and sick. I have time to prepare myself, but her death was so sudden. I'm still in a state of shock. I can't believe she is gone.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh Allison :hug8: I'm so so sorry.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Oh, boy - I am so relieved my mascara is the water-proof kind. My heart is breaking for you (big hug). You did everything you could, and then some, and so did she just by letting you know that she appreciated you and loved you to the end as well. Where did I leave my kleenex...:( I am so sorry - but happy to see she was so blessed to have you, and I'm sure you feel the same having had her in your life.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Heart hugs Allison :hug8::hug8:

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I hope the necropsy gives you some comfort in that it shows there was nothing that could be done for Maddie to spare her life. Allison, I have been in your shoes before and my heart is breaking for you. I am so, so terribly sorry. Your vet sounds wonderfully compassionate and I am heartened by her thoughtfulness at such a tough time for you.

:hug8:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh sweetie, I am so very sorry for you loss. My heart goes out to you. Sending healing prayers your way.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Thank you everyone.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
my heart goes out to you dear:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
So so sorry dear heart. You have been so good over all of this and could not have done anymore for Maddie than you did, most of all you loved her and she knew it. God bless.:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Allison, I am in tears right now...this one hits so close to home as I will lose Kiwi to egg laying issues too....way to soon to lose a precious young one, I know.

You were an amazing mommy to her, and she loved you so much...enough to let you know it was ok to let her go. I wish I could help take your pain away....I lost my Max suddenly as well....it is so difficult to lose one we love so much.

We are all here for you Allison. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Allison I am so sorry to read about your loss of Maddie!
Many hugs coming your way and I know it is not easy for you but at least you did everything you could for her...you have a great vet!:hug8:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Allison, I'm so sorry. Your vet sounds like a very compassionate woman who doesn't only care for her patients, but also for their family. You and Maddie are my thoughts. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Allison,

I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Big hugs to you Sweetheart.

Ginger

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Allison, I am so sorry for your loss :(
You were such a good mommy to Maddie, I'm sure she is looking down on you from birdie heaven singing her thanks to you for taking such great care of her while she was here on earth! :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Allison how sad. You did the right thing for Maddie, she must have been feeling awful. So glad you made the decision even though it was painful to let her pass peacefully. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Once again Allison I am sorry for your loss of Maddie. I am reading this at work tearing up. It is amazing how animals even in the end have their little way of showing you that it will be ok. :hug8:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Thank you for your kind words everyone. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.