• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grooming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
Do you groom your own birds? And How long do others go between each groom?

As for myself I take my birds into a local place called The Bird Hut(we went today.) I didn't realize it had been over a year since my two had been groomed last. We bought a pedi perch last time when they were trimmed and it really helped to keep their nails from getting sharp which is probable why I didn't bring them back sooner. We also do wings because the birds do go out in the yard with me. I've choose not to groom my greys myself because these little buggers tend to hold grudges and I rather they hold the grudge on someone else. As for my conure and budgies I trim thier nails myself, and wings go untouched.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I groom Ruby myself. Every two/three months she needs her nails done. I use either a dremmel, clipper or nail file. She is very good and lets me pick up her foot while she's sitting either on a table perch or my hand. There's a lot of balancing/dancing but no biting. She used to have to be toweled but is now a lot easier to do.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I am too afraid to do Lola's nails :eek: I would take her to the vet if I needed to. Charles's nails I do myself :)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I don't do my guys nails. Max holds a grudge and gets pretty nasty during nail trims. The other birds I could probably do if I had someone to help me, but none of my family are bird people :(

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i do all mine,also do gromming for others...none of my birds hold a grudge they get over it:D

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
We Groom all ours our self.

I personally don't see the point in paying some one to do something We can do perfectly fine ourselves :)

Only time i normally have to do any nails, is when I get a bird and they're over grown, I use Pedi perches and don't have to do nails other wise.

Wings my b/f clips all of my birds wings

in the long run it saves me a lot of money , and I can use that money buying the birds things they need/want :)

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
Both my birds get pretty nasty for nails. Good thing is Granny loves the car ride over and say's in the car "Wanna go Bye Bye" Then when we get into the shop she continues to talk saying " See ya Later" "Bye" whistling and making kissing noise. They always comment on what an outgoing grey she is, but once the process starts she's all beak. Ruby on the other hand is nervous through the whole car ride, and grooming process the only sounds she utters are growls through the groom.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we do all ourselves..fortunately, the wilder ones have those pedi perches and their nails are fine...Mitch's nails seem fine as well..it is Sam we have to do once in a while because she is hardly ever in her cage.. so the pedi perch doesnt help much..she nearly kills us every single time..:hehe: however, she does not hold a grudge...

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have Sandy perches, so no grooming. The last time I had Sonny in at the vet, she clipped a nail to take a blood sample, but that's it :)

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Most of the birds that come in have VERY bad pressure sores on their feet so we give them rope perches and sand blasted natural perches to begin with..sandy is to ruff on their sore lil feet..after they get better we always offer sandy perches but most of the birds are spoiled by the other perches and dont seem to sit on them long enough to have them help,i usually try to put them by the food and water so i know at some point they will sit on them..some of them do end up using them especially rubbing their beaks on them

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
We also do wings because the birds do go out in the yard with me.
I groom my own birds nails. I do wings if need be, but I dont clip my birds. I have pedi perches and they dont always keep the nails in proper order. If wooden toys isnt helping a beak, or proper diet, the vet does the beak.

But please be very careful if you bring your birds outside without a harness or in a carrier or cage. They can still get fly outside with a clip.

:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
...after they get better we always offer sandy perches but most of the birds are spoiled by the other perches and dont seem to sit on them long enough to have them help, i usually try to put them by the food and water so i know at some point they will sit on them..some of them do end up using them especially rubbing their beaks on them
Yes, all of mine rub their beaks on them too. And I've found that if you put them up high, they sit on them more. For instance, Elvis has a Sandy swing in her play area, and she sits on it nearly every day (this picture is from when it was fairly new--she has since gnawed up the decorative wood pieces on the sides :D ). It is a fun thing for her to have, because she loves swings of all types, and it keeps her nails trimmed pretty well too:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.