• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey chewing on wood trim

joea

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a "rescue" Female, about 14 years old. About a month now. She bonded pretty well and will get up on my hand when asked (most of the time) and does not resist (most of the time) being put back in cage. I had been leaving her cage open as she seemed well
behaved and rarely left it.

Recently has been leaving it more often and found her in various places chewing at the stained wood trim, in kitchen and elsewhere. That cannot keep happening. As much for her safety as the stain cannot be good for her and I keep ant traps out because of the occasional seasonal short term invasions.

Took to chastising her and putting her back on cage. When that did not affect her behavior, I began putting her in the cage and setting the latch. She accepts this, but paces as if looking for a way out. There are several manznita branch/perches, a couple of "chewable" hanging items, a nice sounding belll and a couple of hanging chewables on the top of cage "play top". Plenty of fresh water and food. Seems to have gotten a bit finicky about the food lately, even rejecting some of her favorite fresh items.

She seems to ignore all the stuff I put in the cage for her to play with, for the most part. I have enticed her with brown paper bag bits and thicker paper and cardboard, which she readily attacks, but, pretty much ignores them if I put them in or on the cage, inside or out.

Despite my "prison time" she still wants to be with me and has not take to any overly hostile behavior toward me. So far.

What to do?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I usually block whatever area my 'too isn't allowed on. It doesn't look pretty, lol. but it seems to deter him and then he eventually finds something else to interest him. For example, I have pieces of cardboard taped on my living room door frame so he can't land on it. I have my fireplace mantle filled with picture frames, blocking easy landing. And then I give him a designated area where he is allowed to play. For instance, after him repeatedly trying to get into my cupboards and throwing things out, I gave him his own cupboard that he's allowed to play in. It sounds like your grey doesn't want to play on her cage. So, can you give her another play area too?