• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
Is three years old very old for a timneh grey? Can behaviors be changed? Can unsocialization be treated? Thanks! AND I'M JUST CURIOUS ;)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh yes they can be changed!!

I adopted a grey that was 21 years old and she changed. Lots of love and patience can do so much.
Give him space and let him make the decisions, never force a TAG to do anything. They remember, trust me.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
So it's not that old for a grey? As far as behaviors go, I'm not sure if there are any besides lack of attention from being overshadowed by the other 3 birds in the home. Supposedly it likes to hang out with people but just not be the center of attention. I just want to be able to get the baby to enjoy getting out and being with us. And probably learning to eat fresh foods. Oh and learnignto cope with changes. Is this too much to ask from him?

Thank!!!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
3 is not old at all, just a baby still.
You are not asking anything really of him.

Now if you are asking him to turn into a big cuddlebug that lets you flip him upside down, kiss his wingpits and talk like a 5 year old, lol that is asking too much :hehe:

He has to learn to trust you and see what you are about.
They do adjust to change, my TAG adjusts much better than my CAG.
They do eventually learn to eat fresh foods, the TAG will model your other bird. He will watch you interact and eventually they want to be part of it.
The TAG may blossom in a smaller flock.

I had a BCC and 4 other birds. She went to an only bird home and she is so happy and so much more interactive.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Greys are marvellous birds in my eyes and very intelligent. Need lots of time, love and attention.
You have to go at their pace and not dictate to them, they do that quite well!
The love they give the person they eventually bond with is something else. I leave my birds out to have their freedom and fly around, but the Greys have to have your undivided attention for most of the time wheras the rest can entertain themselves quite happily providing you are close by and talking to them.
They go through the baby stage and then the teenager stage while growing up and it can prove quite a painful time. Once they bond with someone then that is it, you cannot dictate to them who that is going to be either, it is their choice. The rest of the family are then looked on by them as their extended flock and are treated accordingly. Good luck.
My two Greys are Scooby five yr old on my head and Leroy is the eleven yr old on my front! Both female and both bonded with me.
Steve my son has bonded with our Timneh Grey five yr old Rambo male.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.