• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Joey - hope you had a great vacation. Vader is looking great (even without a tail). Did he beat it off or is he molting?

Get some sleep - you have the menagerie to take care of now.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Annie is down to 2 measly blue tail feathers. She is rough on her tail.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
even tail less, he is beautiful baby. Can't wait until I see Dr. Tony and show him the pictures. he was asking last weekend about that Thailand bird.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Joey wade, Dr. Tony says to tell you that Vader is amazing, for all the cr@p he is been thru in his young life, the lost of tail feathers is because he is still young'un. they will grow back and become stronger when they do. he said all macaws when they are babies and fledglings are hard on their tail feathers. it is like they don't understand that it's a part of their beauty. give it time he is going to be one feisty green wing macaw.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Vader is truely an awesome bird. He's different from Joey in every way. Joey is so needy and freaks out whenever she isn't near someone. Vader is very independent and loves to play and explore. He is so much fun to have around (when he isn't screaming. Lol)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Joey wade , how is the tail less terror of Thailand doing?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Joey wade We have to remind you every time. You may be tired of us nags, but we aren't tired of Vader. Besides he can't type.

Pictures and stories.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Sorry I've been such a stranger. Been semi-lurking when I've had time. My classroom this year is horrible (had a student spray floor cleaner in the kids' eyes yesterday)... Needless to say, I've been under a ton of stress lately. Vader and Joey have helped cope with all the craziness.

Vader is doing great. He went through two, $50 toys in just over a month. They don't sell that size here so I'm wondering what to give him to chew on. He is way too vocal for my neighbors and I'm hoping I don't get kicked out. I've thought about letting him sleep in my room so he won't scream in the mornings. I'm still hoping his tail will grow out, but he hasn't lost even a single feather yet. He will be 10 months in a few days. He's becoming curious about the shower, but doesn't love it near as much as Joey. Here he is drying off on the stairwell he mutilated as a baby:

20170621_181741.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wow - kids really confound me now days. You are undoubtedly teaching in an English school so the kids are probably spoiled little brats.

Poor little Vader. If he doesn't look like an orphan. He is looking good though. Hank was a tail-challenged GW too. He just didn't give a snit about his tail, even as a grown up.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Annie could care less about her tail, too. 2 measly blue tail feathers away from being a duck butt.

I teach high school English. I've taken razors from kids, had written death threats, but never what you describe. That was at an urban school; my current school is much better. Hang in there!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Joey wade if you can take a picture of what is left of those toys. I Frankenstein toys for the birds at the clinic and may I can come with what you can make with them. can you get untreated rattan and bamboo? the macaws at the clinic love those and I make forging toys out of them.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
you know what I am going to ask @Joey wade ? how is the love of AA 's life? how are you doing too?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I was just about post about him @rocky'smom. He's started head shaking again and poop looked bad yesterday. He acts fine other than this, but of course I'm worried. As for me, this school year has been terrible. Incredibly stressful without much free time. Looking to move near the beach next year so I can escape the big city.

Anyway, here are the videos. Hoping it's nothing...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He's just playing around with regurgitating. Annie does that, too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
With Vader's background of infections and illnesses, I would keep a close eye on him. Jasper does that too and I watch her like a Hawk. Are you giving him probiotics once or twice a week?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
With Vader's background of infections and illnesses, I would keep a close eye on him. Jasper does that too and I watch her like a Hawk. Are you giving him probiotics once or twice a week?
You bet. Nothing has come out yet and droppings looked relatively normal this afternoon. The million dollar question is at what point would it warrant a trip to the vet?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You have a lot of experience with Vader by now. Always listen to your stomach and take him sooner rather than later.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Well he started it again today and it lasted longer than before so I took him to the vet. He took x-rays and just did a gram stain. Gram stain was okay. He said the lungs were starting to become inflamed and prescribed marbocyl and tolfenamdicum acid. He said Vader shouldn't be in the closed air conditioned room without ventilation.

Not sure why I've been given antibiotics for no bacteria, but I've been down this road before.

I'm a bit saddened because it seems like Vader is weak and will always have a poor immune system. Joey's cage is right next to his and she acts fine. I guess I'll give Vader the antibiotics with the anti - inflammatory medicine and hope for the best.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He won't always have a poor immune system. Korbel was a very sick baby and for the first few years he picked up every little something. He is much better and tougher now, he does not pick up every little thing any longer.

Vadar looks like he was just playing around regurgitating. I bet your films were not the cause of his regurg, just coincidental. It will be okay Joey, Korbel is 6 now and doing great... well, his great! :laugh:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz Is right. Vader may have problems for a year or two, but with good care and immaculate attention on your part, he will mature and build up his immune system.

Like Korbel, Jasper was sickly most of her life. Even a couple of years ago I didn't know if she would die from day to day, but she is fine (as fine as she can be) now. She hasn't caught an infection for two years and she has been holding her weight and has plenty of energy.

Is it time for us to go over what you are feeding and giving Vader as supplements again?