• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
So no more vomiting, but today he lost a large tail feather. I've never seen a feather come out like this before: so many issues with this guy :-/

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, @Macawnutz @Hankmacaw
I wonder if it's because he has been so sick with infection after infection. I know that in dogs and some cats they can have hair loss with multi infections.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
if you don't have Kwik stop, you can use all purpose white flour or cornstarch

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
yup a good size pinch between thumb and first 2 fingers if it's still bleeding pinch it into place and hold it tight for 30 seconds or longer if he will sit still for that. you can also make paste of it and a few drops of water (boiled) and smear it on the ouchie.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I'd say it's broken as well. You need to watch this over the course of several days. Has he been playing roughly or taken a fall, that you're aware of?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How's Vader's broken feather? He was probably just playing too hard and broke it.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Or forgot he had a tail and wedged it while playing.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Vader is ALWAYS flying or climbing. He also recently discovered he can escape from the food slot if I don't lock it. There's no more blood from the feather, but it's weird because I don't see the pointed end anywhere. Maybe he broke it off at the skin.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Just lost another one... I think part of the reason is because his overall feather quality is pretty terrible. He was sick for much of the time he was feathering.

Any ideas when the first molt would/should be for a GW?

Attachments

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hopefully once he is over this last infection and molts his baby feathers the new ones will be stronger. remember once he is eating regular food lots of beans good protein.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I think the broken end is under the skin - it clearly wasn't in the picture you sent. That does seem unusual, but I was also wondering what the chronic illness and exposure to medication would do to feather growth. It is troubling that he lost another, but the ones left are now more vulnerable. Keep an eye on them for a couple days, to make sure he doesn't disturb the newly formed clots. I think this will all resolve at some point. Hopefully Joey won't make fun of him...

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He probably fell and broke them somehow and when they break like that they can take a few days to come out. Many large macaw feathers are seated in bone so when they break like that you won't ever see the tip. My scarlet used to break wing feathers like that often.

No worries. They will regrow.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
How do you guys feel about flight training? Because Vader is still on formula I have been looking at my options for next month when I head back to the USA. There's a flight training program here that costs about $500 and they would continue hand feeding if needed and train him to fly and return. It is insured so that if there are any problems everything will be taken care of.

My biggest concern is his immune system. Would he be okay around other birds by then?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
JMHO here because his immune system has been so kicked I would say no.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Given his health status at this time, I wouldn't put him into a program with multiple birds and multiple people. He needs to be with someone who will commit to knowing and watching him alone without competing obligations and without exposure to possible new pathogens. I'd want to keep him at home, with a trusted friend while you're in the U.S. As for flight training, while I've never done it, I think it's based on your bond with your bird. I think you guys should do it together, when you're both ready.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I agree that since Vader has been sick, that putting him near other birds isn't a good idea. If Vader was strictly kept separate, then maybe. Although, I could only recommend indoors only, until he's healthy and his immune system is built up. Introducing him to the outdoors when he's sick could result in more stress, which isn't good for him. (that is, if the goal of the program is to train him for outside time)

As for flight training, while I've never done it, I think it's based on your bond with your bird. I think you guys should do it together, when you're both ready.

Flight training has nothing to do with the bond you have with your bird. It *might* help, but even having the strongest bond possible with a pet bird doesn't guarantee that bird will come back.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie