• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greening Feathers in Female

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
So I've had my 21 year old eclectus Sophie for just over a month now. When I bought her I did notice a couple of feathers on her back had green tips but the more I've been able to interact with her, the more green I find. I've attached some photos for reference. I'm becoming very anxious because I'm not sure if she already had this much green when I got her and hadn't noticed or if it's becoming worse while she is with me. So I guess my questions are, how quickly do feathers turn green? What causes the greening? I thought the most common cause was diet and I know she was on a seed diet before I got her, but since I've had her she eats fresh chop for the bulk of her diet and she gets a small amount of pellets at night and the only time I feed seeds are for training. When I first got her I also had her tested and the vet said that her liver looked fine but she did want to retest after 6 months. So if it is possible that she is getting more green with me, what do I do? And if it's just green she's had since before I got her, I'm assuming I just wait for a molt and new healthy feathers to regrow?

Attachments

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So I've had my 21 year old eclectus Sophie for just over a month now. When I bought her I did notice a couple of feathers on her back had green tips but the more I've been able to interact with her, the more green I find. I've attached some photos for reference. I'm becoming very anxious because I'm not sure if she already had this much green when I got her and hadn't noticed or if it's becoming worse while she is with me. So I guess my questions are, how quickly do feathers turn green? What causes the greening? I thought the most common cause was diet and I know she was on a seed diet before I got her, but since I've had her she eats fresh chop for the bulk of her diet and she gets a small amount of pellets at night and the only time I feed seeds are for training. When I first got her I also had her tested and the vet said that her liver looked fine but she did want to retest after 6 months. So if it is possible that she is getting more green with me, what do I do? And if it's just green she's had since before I got her, I'm assuming I just wait for a molt and new healthy feathers to regrow?
Yes, time and testing will be your best indicators. It takes time for the body to adjust and time to make feathers, so the newer green feathers you're seeing have been in the works beyond your time with her.
My memory is failing right now, but I think it's typical of a deficiency in something. Definitely stick to your new diet and routine, a swing in the other direction with supplements is probably not a great idea either. If you're comfortable with your vet's knowledge of ekkies and their issues with supplemental vitamins, you might give them a call and let them know you're still seeing a few new green ones. They may want her on a supplement for a little while. Maybe increase dark squashes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and red and deep green vegetables for the time being as well. I add turmeric and cinnamon to her dry foods and sprinkle it on things she doesn't like. If she has a favorite spice try it on foods she doesn't like.
Keep us posted!

Ps: the green on the edge of the flight is normal, and beautiful! She really is lovely!

Pps: please exchange the dowel perch with something else. I use the fattest rope across longer spans, and add things of various types and sizes textures near her dishes and toys. It took putting new ones near her foraging treat cups to convince her to try them. She really loves her pedi perch from @Love My Zons now.

Last edited: