• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Green Tongue on house sparrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

House_Sparrow_keeper

Checking out the neighborhood
So, Ive been raising two baby birds for the past two weeks since the day they had their eyes closed(rescued) and I noticed that one of the birds has green on his tongue which makes me thing it's some sort of infection...which led me to googling a bit and found that it might be "Oral Candidiasis". Does anyone have any experience with this ? Oh and both these birds were on anti-biotics since they were having trouble breathing a week ago but now seem fine other than the green tongued one. Any help would be appreciated!

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
yeast infections often follow antibiotics.

if you can bring them back for some fungal meds, it would be helpful, then put them on probiotics for a week following any antibiotics and antifungals :)

House_Sparrow_keeper

yeast infections often follow antibiotics.

if you can bring them back for some fungal meds, it would be helpful, then put them on probiotics for a week following any antibiotics and antifungals :)
Thanks for the response!

So, what kind of meds do you think would be good for these birds? I read somewhere that [FONT=verdana,geneva][FONT=verdana,geneva][FONT=verdana,geneva][FONT=verdana,geneva]Nystatin works well for fungal meds...not sure though. And what kind of probiotics do you think would be good? Thanks again![/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
the vet will be able to diagnose a yeast infection and be able to prescribe the best meds. diflucan and nystatin are two commonly used for yeast, you can also try apple cider vinegar in their formula that you feed, just a small drop or so mixed in

probiotics, you can get from your pharmacy or local health store or even plain yogurt with active bacterial cultures.

4 quarts of water for 1 tablet of probiotic. use this for their drinking water or you can put some of the water in their formula (soaked cat food, boiled egg, applesauce, vitamins...)

House_Sparrow_keeper

the vet will be able to diagnose a yeast infection and be able to prescribe the best meds. diflucan and nystatin are two commonly used for yeast, you can also try apple cider vinegar in their formula that you feed, just a small drop or so mixed in

probiotics, you can get from your pharmacy or local health store or even plain yogurt with active bacterial cultures.

4 quarts of water for 1 tablet of probiotic. use this for their drinking water or you can put some of the water in their formula (soaked cat food, boiled egg, applesauce, vitamins...)
Thank you so much for all this great info...I will try the nystatin tomorrow when I go to the store since all the shops are closed right now. But, I have started giving Hops(the name of the sick bird) apple cider which will hopefully help her somewhat. =)

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
just very little ACV though. i have used ACV for yeast infections in one of my lovebirds and it had done wonders :) good luck, i am raising a baby house sparrow at the moment myself, so i know the stress of it lol

House_Sparrow_keeper

just very little ACV though. i have used ACV for yeast infections in one of my lovebirds and it had done wonders :) good luck, i am raising a baby house sparrow at the moment myself, so i know the stress of it lol
Yes, I read in this post :

http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-emergency-highway-911/76147-yeast-crop-ratio-acv-water.html

That there is a ratio on how much ACV you can give them...so yeah I'm going to try this for a few days to see how it goes. Oh and how old is your house sparrow? My plan for the two that I have right now is just to rehabilitate them and let them go free when the time is right...My only question on this though is how long do I keep these birds until they're old enough to fly away to hunt on their own without my help? I think Ive read somewhere that it can go anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months. Is this true?

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
mine is around 3-4 weeks old by now, he is flying on his own but he is just starting to eat on his own. ive had him since 7 days old. they learn to fly before they learn to eat on their own. you can start putting millet in his cage around 2 weeks old as they will start to investigate it more at that age and may start eating it. if you plan on releasing, you need to make their enclosure as close as possible to what they would have in the wild. bring in natural leaved branches from bird safe trees. have them able to hide in the leaves for safety. place fake grass mats at the bottom of the cage, when they get older you can put live meal worms down in the grass for them to find for themselves and forage for, this is very important as they will do this in the wild. you will need to let them out daily to fly in a small room. when the time comes close for them to be released you will want to move their cage outside so they can acclimate to the outdoor world and make friends with the wild birds. leave the door open once theyre ready. leave the cage outside, so they can go back to it if they arent ready, always keep fresh food and water in it. this will give them a good start in case they are not set to leave their "home" yet and could get an easy meal until they learn the ropes of the wild. do not handle them any more than necessary. place things they would find in the wild in their cage such as rocks and branches and even watch the wild sparrows outside. observe carefully what they eat. if you can, bring some of those foods into the cage for them. i have seeded grass in mine and dandelions will work as well. its not an easy job. when theyre young they will need to be fed very very often.

if yours are not feathered yet you will want to use aspen bedding until they are feathered and perching on their own. this will help them keep warm. if theyre unfeathered they will need a heat source up until the point of being feathered. the temperature will decrease as they feather out.

you can offer a toy or two, but not too many as they are not going to be pets.

heres some quick photos of my guy... Buddy

day i found him

few days later

2 weeks old

3 weeks old

foraging in grass

and photos from 2 days ago at 3.5 weeks old

even at this stage he is too young to be released, i will have him for at least another month to be sure he is eating completely on his own and foraging completely on his own. he needs to be adjusted to the outdoors and he needs to get used to the weather outdoors too. never place them in the hot sun, try to place the outdoor cage in the shade outside but do give them shelter on part of the cage so they can get out of the rain and wind, cover the side of the cage where the wind comes most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.