• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Green Cheek Conure losing feathers on head.

FlockO'Feathers

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I'm new here and have two conures, one green cheek (Ollie) and the other cinnamon green cheek (Spirit). I adopted the green cheek about two years ago from a friend of mine and is quite a handful.

For the past few months I have noticed patches of feathers that are just falling out of her head. One patch on the top back of the head running down towards the ears, and another patch right behind the beak. We've taken her to a vet multiple times, done tests for mites, bacteria, metal poisoning, and yeast infections which all came back negative. Honestly I don't know what else to do, its getting worse and I don't want him to lose all his head feathers. He doesnt pluck his feathers but he occasionally scratches his head but only gently.

20131115_131808.jpg 20131115_131857.jpg

FYI his feathers are purple because of the treatment done for yeast infections.

I just wanted to come here as a last resort and see if anyone can possibly give me some help figuring out what this is and maybe fixing it.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Its a long shot, but maybe a food allergy? Is the other bird plucking her? Could it be a side effect from the medicine? Dont be afraid to get her back too the vet, or a second opinion.

Last edited:

FlockO'Feathers

We feed Ollie rainbow pellets and fresh fruit every morning so I don't know what allergies he would have. And Spirit just kind of avoids her, but sometimes they do and I stop them. I actually tried this spray stuff that you use on birds feathers that just gives it a bitter taste to get them to stop preening it. And no, the medicine was used after the patch was already there, shes just molting now and losing a lot more feathers.

I have an appointment for the vet next week. He said hes pretty much done all the tests he can do though.

Isis

Meeting neighbors
I would try a diet change (the pellets). Our birds eat a mix of approx 10 types of pellets, dry pasta, etc + fresh veg & fruit. We get it from a local bird rescue that mixes it up for us. Maybe just mix in some new types of pellets w/the old to see if it helps? The food allergy is a good suggestion. :) Good luck!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could the parrot be itchy, and therefore rubing his head on the bars and rubbing out feathers?

TalkinTimneh

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathie
I was wondering if it could be something transferred from you hands...like a new lotions or soap that could be causing your little ones issues? If you look at where the feather loss is, it's pretty much in the same place you would give scratches. Don't really know if this is it or not, but it's a thought since the vet checked for everything else. Good luck with your little one and hope you figure it out soon.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I think there have gotten great suggestions on the possible cause. You may have to make one change at a time though to try to determine the cause. Wishing you the best.

FlockO'Feathers

I think I may have found the solution. The cages are on top of a set of drawers that they like to go in and run around. We put a camera in there with a light to see what they were doing and it turns out Ollie was scratching his head on the metal railings of the drawers. Hopefully if we keep him out of the drawers it wont get any worse. :gcc3:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My mitred conure rubbed the feathers off between his eyes and beak because he tries to stick his head through the cage bars, lowers his body and quivers his wings - wanting out. Well, the cage he was in, the bar spacing was large enough that when he tried to beg, the bars were right behind the beak but right in front of his eyes.

I sold the cage and got a smaller cage with smaller bar spacing and his feathers grew back fine.

Please do keep an eye on it! Although excessive rubbing can cause feather loss, so can over-preening and skin infections!

stawski

Real Name
jan
just have same problem--are you ok with yours

stawski

Real Name
jan
I have noticed patches of feathers that are just falling out of her head--its all day with as,and its out off cage all day

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
stawski, is this a single bird or do you have her with another bird? If with another bird, could the other bird be plucking out the head feathers? If alone, it could be an ear infection or skin infection, in which case, it would require an avian vet visit.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I would want to rule out any medical reasons for this right away and then proceed from there. It is always best to err on the side of caution if one is to err.

LindaO

Hi FlockOFeathers, I have a caique that has pretty much the same thing going on....not the back of the head but the front just like yours....did you ever find the cause....I brought my baby to the vet and he thought maybe sinus infection but vet seems stumped.... Please let me know what it was and what you did ....many thanks Linda

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Linda, welcome! The person who posted this thread has not been on the forum in almost a year and a half. If you would like, you can start a new thread so that more people will hopefully see your question and be able to offer advise.

Matt