• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure diet?

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
I am considering a little greenie, and I am wondering about the diet. I know to feed fresh foods of course, but do they need a pellet and seed diet in addition to the fresh foods? If they need seed, what type of seed mix do you feed?

I know the one I want does get and eats fresh foods daily, but in addition to that s/he is just given a conure seed mix, and it appears to be loaded with fillers. I am pretty certain s/he has not ever been offered pellets, except for the crappy ones in the seed mix.

So, I am just wondering what you guys feed yours so I can be prepared if I get the little one. Thanks!

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I'd think if you can get the bird onto a quality daily maintenance pellet as about 50% of it's daily intake and the remainder being a teaspoon or so of a quality seed mix and some fresh veggies, you should be thereabouts. If you have trouble getting s/he continuing to eat pellets if there is seed present, ditch the seed and replace it with rice, which is what I do. :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Besides fresh veggies, fruit, birdie bread, sprouts, cooked foods and etc, our GCCs get Roudybush and Vetafarm Pellets for now (until the new Organic Pellets come out), they are really good when it comes to eating their pellets, they also get blends too.

Sauly

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jonathan
I think a good quality pellet is essential as a base diet. You can work in some good quality seeds like organic hemp seed for example. (Conure crack). Lots of fruit and veggies. Try all kinds to see what he/she likes. Daily coconut oil finger licks are great in small amounts. Harrison's makes a power treat that is quite good for youngster conures. Lots of sleep time!

sauly