• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Breeding

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been breeding green cheeks for the last few years and have moderately good success. I have pairs that breed starting in February and some that don't start until May. Spring of 2019 was weird. Pairs started really late, including one pair that didn't breed until July. I had a pair that abandoned 2 clutches, and between the three clutches only had 3 chicks. They normally have an 80% success rate. Another pair has consistently given me two large clutches with a 100% hatch rate. This year they gave me two small ones. I finally cut off access to the nest boxes to put a stop to it. I spent a few months making sure they had a good diet and supplemental calcium, just like I do every year.

Here we are in fall, and winter right around the corner. I have one chick that hatched 12 days ago, and another pair with at least 4 eggs. I've never had fall clutches from any of my pairs. I have cockatiels outside that are breeding like crazy, but it's their breeding season. My conures are all inside and do not have direct sunlight, so they are not aware of the days getting shorter. I'm not complaining. I love having babies to feed and play with, but it's not normal for my flock. Any ideas what might have caused this?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
This is the time of year all of mine start getting nesty and eggie.