• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greater Vasas .....or Cape both have me obsessed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishbait

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kirk
Not much out there for Vasas....or Capes as far as real owners experiences. I am torn between one of these species......maybe need to just get both and be done with it! Anyways i am on lists for both......curious to hear from other Vasa owners!

My wife wants a talker and she is in love with the vasa also, but it seems from my reading they can talk but are not noted for talking. We both love the fact they don't tend to pick one person over the other and they love affection and cuddle!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! There are several cape owners here. I would post any questions in the Poicephalus Place section. You could email Old World Aviaries - Hand-fed baby parrots . They breed both species. Sorry that I do not have first hand experience. Best of luck!

Matt

fishbait

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kirk
Thanks Matt! I spoke with Scott from Old World Avaries last week and hope to visit his aviary this week! We feel like expectant parents ....kind a silly over a bird huh! My large cage should be delivered tomorrow and over the next month or two i will start building play gyms! I also need to delve back into really studying up on parrot behavior and conditioning/training methods!:D

Kirk

MLS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Margaret
Hi there :) Looks like we're in the same boat, Vasa crazy and yet vasa-less at the moment. I can definitely feel your excitement! I'm pumped to start drawing up plans for a play stand in a little while though I might not be able to get a Vasa for a year or two more, oh life getting in the way ;P More time to read up, I guess. If you want to hear a bit of first hand Vasa experiences definitely visit the "Eve the gender confused Vasa" website, just google, there's quite a bit of good info on there. Or email Dr. Scott E McDonald, he has a client with a pet Vasa and she was happy to talk to me a bit about her experiences with her boy. Also, how lucky that you can visit Scott's aviaries! I'm also on his waiting list, and on a few other people's email lists, but it'd be a bit too far of a drive from Milwaukee even for me. Post pictures if you can. Glad to see that I'm not the only person who's infatuated with such a "drab parrot." :)

Margaret

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I know Theresa(TMS) got a chance to visit quite a few Vasas, I think I remember seeing pictures a while back. :) I would love to have a vasa, just can't afford one! :rolleyes: they are different parrots, just have a different....something about them. They are special birds.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
No experience with Capes. Do love Greater Vasa parrots though. The ones I have interacted with were playful...even laying on their back playing in the bottom of a cage. They can learn to talk although there are parrots that talk much better. There are a couple of more breeders...florida and washing state besides the one here in Texas. Would love hearing about your visit and meeting of the old world birds.

noblemacaw

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
When Parrot Island was down in Burnsville I use to go there and buy my parrot supplies. The owner had a Vasa parrot and let me play with him. He was so cool and so much fun I never forgot the experience. I then did research of them and found out the males when sexually mature and in season tend to swell up in the cloaca area and they have a hemi junk. This did not bother me so much because I can always put pants on him. LOL. It was the price tag and not being able to find one that put me off of them.

Good luck getting a Vasa as I would LOVE to hear more about them. I learned that the males make better pets and that they mature very fast from nest to sustaining themselves.

Noblemacaw

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited:

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Don't know much about them, but gorgeous birds! Bird Paradise in NJ had a pair of Vassas when I was there in October.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
My wife wants a talker and she is in love with the vasa also, but it seems from my reading they can talk but are not noted for talking. We both love the fact they don't tend to pick one person over the other and they love affection and cuddle!
Sorry, don't have any Vasa experience but regarding the talking - not all birds will talk, even individuals from species that are well known for it (for example African Greys). What if you get one that doesn't talk?

A little thing for Capes regarding affection/cuddle/one person bird syndrome - I have a Cape and although she's still a baby, she seems to equally like my boyfriend and I. I've had a few people over as well to meet her and she's been going to everyone. While they can be prone to liking one person only, I think any bird can have a likelyhood to develop such a habit, and it really comes down to how much socialization you are able to get in there.

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
I really like Vasa's too...Just another one to add to my wish list...:D

ChunksMcgoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
TJ
I took care of a cape for several months. Great bird. Very good talker, very smart... a little too smart. My Slender-Bill was still very young and the Cape picked on him a lot. Used to try to get him riled up and get him in trouble. Awesome species though, I can certainly see why they are becoming so popular.

Chomper.jpg

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gorgeous!:heart: Is that a boy? Most have females here. Awesome birds.:laughing12:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I took care of a cape for several months. Great bird. Very good talker, very smart... a little too smart. My Slender-Bill was still very young and the Cape picked on him a lot. Used to try to get him riled up and get him in trouble. Awesome species though, I can certainly see why they are becoming so popular.

View attachment 95378
Oh my goodness, he is so gorgeous! :cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.