• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gracie is Home!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You can imagine all those adorable babies in their stunning colors if you close your eyes.
And then when you open them again you will see one at a shelter, one set lose in the wild, one living on her own in a small and dirty cage with no company and no bird friend, and the last one died because the owners parents didn't want to give it vet care. (it was to expensive, and they didn't want to pay that much because they could buy a new bird if this one died instead, and that will save them money)
So yes, you did the right thing. :heart:

Harley and Omega were doing the nasty today.
In some way I can't help myself for also thinking that that's great. :) (for them)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If M&M ever mated i would do the same thing you did. They have been together for 2.5 years now and no signs of interest for feeding or grooming each other.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
...it's still kind of sad that we won't be letting them have little ones...the colors would probably be stunning...Omega is white/blue and Harley is yellow...but there are too many budgies out there looking for good homes...
Yep... it is. It's only what comes natural for them but in the end.. wild birds have losses and get on with life. I think our companion birds go through a spell with the process of bonding, mating and in some cases egg laying. We have so many members here dedicated to preventing more birds hatching and satisfying their hens needs with fake eggs. I don't allow Casey mating with either of my girls... believe me...he sure tries! The girls would be happy to oblige. I don't know if I could switch eggs and not let them hatch out.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You can imagine all those adorable babies in their stunning colors if you close your eyes.
And then when you open them again you will see one at a shelter, one set lose in the wild, one living on her own in a small and dirty cage with no company and no bird friend, and the last one died because the owners parents didn't want to give it vet care. (it was to expensive, and they didn't want to pay that much because they could buy a new bird if this one died instead, and that will save them money)
So yes, you did the right thing. :heart:
You couldn't said it any better, my friend. Every one of the situations you mention happen EVERY DAY...there is no need to sugar coat it....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
In some way I can't help myself for also thinking that that's great. :) (for them)
In a sense it is. :)

They're happy, healthy, have a good home where their people don't bother them much...and most importantly...they have each other..;)