• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

got a new meyers! looking for some advice/answers

yukinarin

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all! I recently was given a Meyer's parrot from a mutual friend who, unfortunately, can't keep him anymore. Gender and age is a big question mark, although I was given the estimate of around 5 years old and most likely male. He is my first bird ever! I plan on taking him to the vet v soon (I couldn't until now because of personal issues)

He's been in my home for about two weeks now, and I think he's adjusting well. He's eating decently (i'm in the process of transitioning him from an all-seed diet to one with pellet and fresh food), and doesn't mind head/neck scratches from between the bars. Apart from some shrill noises throughout the day, he often quietly chirps and peeps. I've grown attached to him and I love him so much!

I was told he had a biting problem, which the previous owners never really corrected. He does try and bite at some movement (i.e. biting at floor of cage if I move the cage tray to clean it, aiming for hands that come into/near his cage), but isnt very consistent with it. 9 times out of 10 he won't mind and even tilts his head for scratches if its between bars. I have been following the guidelines as best I could by not moving quickly or abruptly and being decently confident with my movements. He also doesnt mind taking food from my hand.
In addition, he unfortunately has learned, from his old home, that humans will often ignore his warning signs, which leads to unpredictable lunges. This is a concern for me because I'm never sure when he's gonna bite or why (that beak is scaryyy). I've observed and there is no eye pinning or change in posture/noise before he bites. Any ideas of how I can approach this?

I've also read that Meyer's are terribly stubborn and curious. I let him out often (although he doesn't really fly around, he just climbs around his cage for an hour and flaps a bit) and so far he ignores the perches and treats I place in front of him. Any training method for teaching an uninterested bird to step up would be wonderful!

I do feel as if he's beginning to trust and bond with me as he often calls for attention when i leave the room and allows me to give him some scritches, and responds to the conversations i have with him! (he also does this skirt dance every now and then, its super cute) He is an awesome companion so far and it would be great to train him!

104787665_1349666045223562_1589854439362630630_n.jpg
This is a picture of when I first got him! Since this was taken, i've upgraded him to a new, bigger cage and new toys! He's a beautiful boyyyy <3

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be happy to be a part of this community!

• Love
Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I can't help you here, but wow! That is a lovely bird! (And seems very spoilt!) Does he have a name?

yukinarin

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm currently still deciding! His previous owners didnt give him a name :( But i'm on the fence between Olive and Caesar!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would love to see some more up to date pics of him if you have any! He looks very cute!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Right now is Poi Boy Hormone Time so even my sweet Jardine's is in lunge mode because of it. So that may be working against you ;) I just give Ripley a ton to chew and come back later :lol:

If he doesn't play with hanging toys, try putting them on the cage floor or in a shallow box. A lot of this family seem to enjoy toys better that way!