• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goofy is really going to town on blood feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Here we go again. This last week Goofy seems to hate blood feathers. She has sniped at least 4 in the last 3 days and this is not including the tail feather that she is going to the vet for today. She even did one while we were playing on the bed last night.

I wonder if part of the problem is that she hasn't been getting the attention she needs last week. Both Jenni and I were down with very bad colds. And just like when she started plucking in the first place our loud hacking coughs and sneezes have no doubt kept her from sleeping as well.

So any ideas on how to help her? We plan on getting the birds their own humidifier this week. I will finish their play stand this week and once the fids are used to it they will be able to be out more, a goal I have had for yrs. I am not found of frequent baths in the winter because to save money we keep the temp around 68 but I do turn it up and bath them I may have to give them more baths. What else might stop her plucking?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sudden extreme behavior like that more often than not means there is a medical reason something is wrong.

Your going to the vet anyway. It would be a good idea to get a full workup done.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
The vet finds Goofy to be a puzzling plucker. She is used to pluckers going for the big feathers first for the most part. Goofy is after her little feathers, her down feathers. Even the tail feather that she pulled and cauterized today was a small (but bloody) one. She says that Goofy's skin is in good shape and that Goofy is in good health.

The vet said it is obvious that we are doing a good job taking care of Goofy. She likes how Goofy has to forage for her food and thinks that Goofy's plucking is most likely psychological. It is true that the stress level in the house has really increased over the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.