• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goodbye Widget

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariec

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marie
I have an appointment tomorrow at 10:30am to put my beloved Nanday Conure Widget down.

We've had a long battle with aspers and avian gastric yeast, and weight loss and feather plucking. I've spent six months gavage feeding him and just recently had him syringe feeding on a voluntary basis.

I went in this afternoon and he's begun to self- mutilate and the syringe feeding isnt keeping his weight up and he won't leave his platform perch and heat lamp anymore.

My heart is fricken broken, I always thought hed grow old with me and he's only four years old- and barely that.

The vet said it was time and I made the appointment but I just don't know how I'm supposed to drive him to that tomorrow.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I can only offer you many, many hugs and my prayers, good vibes/thoughts (and teh kitchen sink if it will help) to ge you through a very tough thing you have to do for your fid. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:sadhug: I'm so sorry

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh Marie, my heart is breaking for you. As you travel tomorrow try and think of us with you holding your hand and supporting you. I am so very sorry. :sadhug2:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I so sorry, what a difficult thing to have to do. :hug1:

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I wish I could be there to hold your hand and hug you as you go through this heart breaking event. When we have to make the decision to let someone or something go, it's the hardest decision in the world. We go through so many "what if's". I know this is no comparison, but my mom is close to passing. I'll never forget her comment to me as I cried at her bedside. I knew it would be our last time together cause she lives so far away. She firmly told me, "THIS is NOT living". And she is so right. When that quality of life is no longer there, it isn't living, not the way we should be able to live. It's misery, it's painful and it's difficult. As I wait for her time to come, I keep trying to remember what she said to me. I believe it's the same for our beloved pets as well. I'm not good at saying goodbye, I need more than the kitchen sink to hold my tears, I need a river to fill. Rather than cry I believe we should celebrate their life, celebrate all of the happiness they brought to us, it's a wonderful gift from God. I know that is easier said than done. You are going to bring your little faby peace and a pain free future in Heaven. You will meet again, I'm a true believer in that. That will not be an easy drive, but please know that our love and strength is with you every step of the way.:hug8::hug8:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
:sadhug2:
I'm so sorry for you and little Widget.
May he find rest, good health, and happiness while he waits on the rainbow bridge.

Do you have a good friend or family member who would be willing to go to the vet with you for support and potentially drive you home? I know it is a lot to ask of someone.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Be brave for his sake, be calm, tell him you love him and that's why you are letting him go. Ask him to let you know, if he can, that he made it over the bridge. He needs you to be there with him and for him. You can be as much of a wreck as you want to be when he's free. We are here with you and will keep you in our prayers as you face this difficult painful time. I have said it before, but I will say it again, I hope when it's my time, that somebody will love me enough to release me from this prison of a body if need be.

Ginger

Kahlil Gibran on Love

When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I am so sorry. It really sounds like the right thing to do for him though, if things have not gotten better. At least he wont be suffering any longer. We are here to support you. :hug8:

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
:sadhug2::sadhug2:

I am so, so sorry. Widget is lucky to have such a strong and caring mom.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am so sorry...I am crying for you. I remember in may making the Appt to have someone come to our home to put our chocolate lab coco down... I didn't know how I would do it...but I did...for her...it was so hard, but it was for the right reasons. I will be with you in spirit tomorrow....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
:hug8: I just want you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you.:hug8:
I am so sorry.:(

ArloDuncan

Real Name
Steve
I'm so so sorry I know how hard this decision is to make but it really sounds as tho you have done everything humanly possible you could to try and battle this illness. Many people couldn't have done what you have done. So be proud of your effort! We will all be with you as you go to release Widget of his suffering and may he fly free forever more!

ja-nee

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
John
I am so sorry I feel your pain. You have to be strong for widget. It's so hard but it is right.:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.

Matt

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I am sorry Marie that you and your little bird are going through this. Your heart will heal in time and your little conure will be waiting for you too. Take care.

Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.