• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goodbye, Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It was only just 3 days ago that Jasper, the Cockatiel, died from an illness (my brothers Cockatiel, and he "was" mine) if that wasn't enough to deal with..

Today, I got more horrible news that a dog I looked after a lot, and took on walks during the week, nearly every single day, was put to sleep on Monday. :sad2:

He was my next door neighbors dog, and she has 2 kids that keep her really busy, and if she went away camping or just going somewhere for a few days/weeks, I'd look after him for her, and do everything for him.. he was like my 3rd dog, and this is just heart breaking.

Why was he put to sleep?

We've had storms here for the past few weeks, last week, there was a really bad storm, and Duke had a tree fall on him and crushed him, they tried to do everything they could for him, but they couldn't save him, so the decision was made to put him at rest so he wasn't suffering anymore. And what's even sadder is that he was only around 3 years old, he went too far young, and too soon.

I'm so sorry Duke, I wish I could've taken he pain away and helped you recover, but you're in a better place now, please know I love you like you were my own dog, I'll always remember the great times we had together, when we'd play football and soccer, chase each other around the backyard, go on bush walks and jump over logs and all them times where I just got to spend time with you, and even shared lots of meals together.. not to mention ALL the photo shoots, boy were you a great model and you loved having photos taken of you, never fussed at all about it.

The lady and her kids are absolutely heart broken too, they have a lot of photos up of him in their house, and she's keeping all Duke's things - toys, collars, bed, lead, everything..

This is a photo of the special dog (below - taken about 3 months ago), that will always have a place in my heart, and a dog I'll never ever forget because he's a huge part of me.

Goodbye Duke, I love you. :sad1:

Attachments

Last edited:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'm so sorry.:hug8: That is heat breaking.:( Reading your post has brought tears to my eyes. It's clear that he was a special dog. He was a very good looking dog too, very cute.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So sad.:( RIP Duke.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how inc redibly sad to lose him in such a way...run free Duke run free..so sorry

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH no, what a terrible accident...I am tearing up as I write this. I am so sorry for your loss...Duke was so beautiful.:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OH Renae Im so sorry about Duke:( Keep those good memories of duke in your heart.big hugs

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Renae, so sorry for your loss and your neighbors. He sounds like he was an outstanding dog and friend!
Run the green fields Duke and drink from the cool streams.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Matt

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh Renae... I am so so sorry.... HUGS and LOVE .........

MollyMouse

How sad Renae you've had a rough time with things lately :hug8:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:hug8::hug8: to everyone.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Renae, I am so sorry!:(

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Oh my....I'm so sorry Renae :( :( :hug8:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I'm sorry Renae , He looks like he was a Great dog, You can see the love in his eyes

But They did what was best for him, Even if he survived he'd be in so much pain and agony it wouldn't of been right to make him live like that even if it gave him several more years of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.