• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goodbye Bowie - I loved you so much

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Hello Friends,

I haven't been on here much, because I've been grieving. Bowie passed away unexpectedly on October 30th. I'm still trying to make sense of it. My significant other and sent his remains in for a necropsy, and we are waiting on results. I put together a timeline, to try to make sense of it. I blame myself.

October 12th - Bowie showed symptoms of a sore right foot, as he was not putting weight on it. Made a vet appointment for him for Oct 14th.

October 14th - took Bowie into to see vet for lame foot, but unlike October 12th, he was putting weight on both his feet. Vet determined it could be a sprain and advised 0.07 mL Meloxidyl every 12 hours for 3 days. No outside cage time for 3 to 5 days.

Because Bowie seemed fine and was putting weight on both feet, I foolishly decided not to give him the medicine. Emailed vet on Oct 23rd that he seemed to be doing fine and maybe it was a fluke.

October 24th - Bowie was climbing down my significant other's shirt and let out a yelp of pain. We thought maybe his foot was sprained after all. We started the 0.07 mL Meloxidyl and started no outside cage time, except for 1 hour cuddle time on shoulder at evening.

Oct 28th - finished 3 day (technically 3.5 day) course of 0.07 Meloxidyl. Bowie seemed fine and was putting weight on both feet.

October 29th - Bowie stopped eating. He can be picky with his ZuPreem Fruit Blend and I just bought new bag the day before. Returned the pellets and bought a new bag of ZuPreem Fruit Blend for him.

October 30th - Bowie was lifting up his left foot this time and eating very litte. His poop was watery with no solids in it. Decided to give him 0.07 Meloxidyl that evening. My significant other and I made the decision that if he didn't respond to the Meloxidyl, we would take him to the ER that night. However, Bowie did respond to the Meloxidyl and looked better, so we decided that we would take him to the ER morning of the next day.

October 31st - Woke Bowie up at his usual wake time, and found he had passed sometime during the night.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss of sweet Bowie :sadhug:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:So Sorry...Hope you get some answers. It was all a bit sudden & mysterious.

:sorrow:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry to hear of your loss :sorrow:

MotherofBirds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Em
Kind of similar symptoms to my sisters lovebird but he was going through it a little longer. It started with his foot too, they ended up telling us that it was most likely a tumor. I’m so sorry you weren’t with him when he left, I know how that must hurt

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
When I have more time, I am going to write a post talking about some of our happiest/funnest/sweetest moments with Bowie. This is my factual/trying to understand post. The other post will be more about memorializing him.

This school semester has been tough for me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you get some answers from the necropsy.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss of Bowie.:sorrow::sadhug2:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry you lost your sweet Bowie! :sorrow:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I am so sorry for your loss of Bowie! :sadhug2::sadhug:

peekaboo

Moving in
Real Name
Reneta Dzivkovaa
I am really sorry.
Please don't blame yourself. I hope you find some answers and find some peace.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I am really sorry.
Please don't blame yourself. I hope you find some answers and find some peace.
Thanks @peekaboo. I wish I could not blame myself, but I keep wondering if I had taken Bowie to the ER that night instead of waiting until the morning. I guessing the Meloxidyl helped give him relief, which was why he looked better. I'm angry at myself for not taking him sooner. I've found that when birds get sick, they can go FAST.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.