• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good Harnesses?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi all,
Been trying to find Oreo a proper harness now, as his current one puts way too much pressure on his shoulders for him to walk properly. We can't use a collar as his unusual head shape means his neck and head are the same size, so collars fall right off (that's thanks to being BYB lol).
I was looking into this harness : Ascension Extended Harness - Black , as it is apparently very easy on the joints and made for mobility, but its not in Australia, so was hoping something similar (or better) is here.

Would love suggestions to brands or links (doesn't have to be Aus, just the style is fine and i'll find it myself somewhere).

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I got the Aviator for Isadora, and it's been great. She's still unsure about wearing a harness and picks at it, but it doesn't appear to be out of discomfort so much as being unused to wearing one. Super easy to get on and off though! My only complaint about it is that the leash part is sooooo long, but that's not exactly a "problem" I guess :roflmao:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I got the Aviator for Isadora, and it's been great. She's still unsure about wearing a harness and picks at it, but it doesn't appear to be out of discomfort so much as being unused to wearing one. Super easy to get on and off though! My only complaint about it is that the leash part is sooooo long, but that's not exactly a "problem" I guess :roflmao:
I think you will find that Spearmint is looking for a dog harness for Oreo :)

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What breed is Oreo?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
The only harness I have found that works for my mini aussie is PetSafe 3-in-1 reflective dog harness with car control strap. You can adjust just about everywhere on this one. Her head and neck are also the same size so a normal collar can slip off if she gets scared. Around the neighborhood where I know she will not get scared I use a martingale collar. When I leave my neighborhood I use the harness, just to make sure as do not want her to slip out of the collar.

Krisrath11

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris
Get a Petco version of a gentle leader over the nose and pulls back and keep the martingale on or the journey harnesses are great. I use them with a lead that attaches them bot together just in case on the impaired dogs usually. It's like a fail safe in case but those harnesses are very well made I'm sure they make them in all sizes. I was terrified of losing my blind deaf dog so I did this

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Would love suggestions to brands
I had a Julius K9 harness for Jacob (Chow - 33KG+/-), loved it! It was gentle on him, didn't tangle in his fur, and had a handle on top, and side hoops for clipping his little nametag, vaccine tag and his little light onto :)
20150520_111911.jpg
IMG_20210804_125924.jpg

edit to add;
I had the harness for 6 years. And it was in perfect condition at the end of that time. I put it through the washing machine before storing it away in Jacobs box.
I gifted the same harness to my little brother for his pitbull in 2015 and they still have theirs and use it, plus they are in the UK so it has gotten muddy numerous times and been through the washing machine.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I would second the julius harness

I havent Tired the harness but the bullybilliows leads are really good

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
I personally like the Kurgo Truefit line, alternatively the Ruffwear harnesses are very nice but a bit pricey, their design is good for sighthound shaped dogs who can wriggle. Sandi has an old reliable Gooby step in harness and a Kurgo truefit for the car as our particular model doubles as a crash test approved seatbelt (at least I’m pretty sure, citation needed lol).

Cinder is very small, so she wears a Petsmart brand cat harness