• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good day my feathered friends

Houseape57

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kathy Henderson
I have a 15 yr old Solomon female Ekkie. I found someone in town with a male. We are both interested in breeding them. My question is: Lollypop laid 2 infertile eggs last week. When is the best time to breed her? After she’s done with her eggs (eat or destroy). She’s been an excellent layer for yrs. She’s starting to look a tad ratty from laying and wanting to breed. We think it’s time and hopefully will help her from plucking. She’s very healthy and eats only what she should have. Any insight would help.
Thank you in advance.
Kathy and Lollipop

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:hello::welcomegroup:
I have no idea but just wanted to say welcome!! :hiya:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:grpwelcome:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to Avian Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

@BrianB

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the Avenue!

In all the research I've done on Ekkies, there seems to be a general consensus that Ekkies that are pets will rarely breed successfully. Laying eggs and successfully breeding don't have a lot in common. Laying eggs is a biological process that will happen regardless of a male bird nearby. Being able to tolerate a male bird in the same cage, going through the motions of courtship to establish a bond, and physically breeding is a lot for a pet. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it's uncommon.

Eclectus have a very long breeding season, where most parrots will breed for just a short period in the spring or fall, they will breed most of the year and then take 3 months off before they start again. Female Ekkies have a reputation of being difficult and if she's used to being around humans, she may not tolerate a male being nearby. I don't have any suggestions for that, so you'll have to play it by ear. I think the first place to start is with an avian vet to make sure both birds are in the best possible health possible. The vet may have suggestions or advice as well.

If they do successfully breed, please let us know. We all love pictures of chicks.