• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good bye Claybirdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
I have copied this from Claybirdie's 911 thread.

Claybirdie passed away this morning on the way to the vets, I had managed to borrow money to take her in. I am awaiting a necropsy, but the vet is fairly sure Claybirdie had lung cancer due to her 20 years of heavy cigar smoke and the fact that she could never maintain her weight. I will miss her greatly here is her story.....

For the fist 20 years of her life she lived with a man named Clayton, he was a very heavy cigar smoker, so heavy that his house was nothing but a cloud of smoke, when Clayton died (of lung cancer), his bird (claybirdie) went to my friend,(she was covered in so much tar it took 3 month to remove it all from her feathers) she there stayed until a year ago (again eating nothing but seeds), and then to me. Yesterday claybirdie had stopped eating, her poo was normal, no signs of a cold or infection, she was not puffed up, nor did she has any nasal discharge. She then became very weak. The only outward sign was her breathing which has always been a major battle for her, and it was not that much different than before just more consistently labored. In the past she would pant if she flapped her wings and wheeze from the years of cigar smoke and vitamin A deficiency. Her nasal passages were destroyed so you would hear clicks in her beak when she breathed. When she had stopped eating, I started hand feeding her every 3 hours and by the end of the day she had made a real turn around and things look very promising, then this morning as I was able to borrow the money to see the vet, Claybirdie passed away during the trip. Her breathing had become more and more difficult, it was obvious that she only had partial use of her lungs as you could see only the top of her body expanding to breath, only right below her crop. While I am happy that she got to have a good year in my home where she was out all day everyday and got to eat like a pig and learn how to play again and to be part of a flock with Eve and Poe......it saddens me that her life was cut short because of neglect and ignorance. She was the sweetest bird, never bite, always in a good mood, never loud, never picked her feathers......and she lived the majority of her years locked in a cage with no physical interaction from her owners. I find that amazing and I am grateful I got to share my life with her. Rest in Peace little Claybirdie.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Fly free sweet one :hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I'm so sorry!!! :hug8:

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Sorry for your loss, it sounds as if Claybirdie was a wonderful companion to you!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fly high, sweet girl.

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry you lost Claybirdie :(Prayers coming your way to help with the healing.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Fly high Little One - your Mommy gave you wings of love. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for loving her so much.

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so very very sorry for your loss.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I am so sorry for your loss.:hug8:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
You are LOVED Claybirdy:heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so very sorry for your loss.

Matt

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
so sorry for your loss, I lost my liitle blue quaker today to , her name was Niki and she was super sweet , I know what you are going through this is terrible, fly free Claybirdie and my little Niki

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kimba I am so sorry Claybirdie didnt make it. She had a hard life, at least she had some good months with you. Fly free sweet girl. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Fly Healthy and Free ClayBirdie:hug8:I'm So Sorry for Your Loss:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award