• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Gold Capped Conure, Feather Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taigas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donald
He got into a tiff with my Green cheek. Long story short, there's a bit of blood from his feather on the edge of his wing. The bleeding seems to have stopped, we added the anti-bleeding stuff just to be safe. I've read, if the bleeding has stopped no need to pull the feather. Is this correct? I'm not as worried because from the pictures I've seen, there's gobs of blood.
With this guy there's a small dab. I mean... possibly the size of O <--- real life size of blood area on his wing. Nothing else visible.

Any words of advice? Currently he seems to be acting normal. Sitting on my shoulder, gnawing upon my ear and cheek. piddling about on his own. No getting on the bottom of his cage or anything of the sort.

Update:
It's not a blood feather. I looked closer and it's one of the flight feathers you normally trim when they get too long. Can blood come from those? upon the tips where they were last trimmed is where we see the dried blood. No new blood as of yet. So I am assuming he should be fine. I plan to keep a close eye on him over the night just to be safe. Again, any advice or experience will be appreciated.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I am definitely not an expert but I suspect the blood came from somewhere else as the feathers themselves no longer have a blood supply once they are fully opened. Are you certain there isn't a blood feather very close to where you found the blood? Are you also certain it didn't actually come off your other bird and just get on the Gold Cap's wing?

If there is no current bleeding and it's a small wound, it should be fine. You can clean a wound with sterile saline and use some corn starch to help clot anything that needs it.

Watch the wound and the bird for signs of infection and if there are any, you should take him immediately to an avian vet.

Taigas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donald
No blood on the green cheek, no visible injuries.

The gold capped has no other signs of blood except for around that trimmed flight feather. As far as I can see no other injuries shown. We already did the clot routine.
Gonna check his wing one last time in the morning to ensure everything, give him a night to rest.

FlyingVees

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Glad they're okay! When I read the title of this post I thought it said "Gold Capped Conure, FATHER Issues" :lol:
I think a "birdie Dr. Phil" would be entertaining :idea:... :dontgo::shake: :party2::canthear:
Never mind :straightface:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I'm glad Gold Capped is OK--I've also read some thread titles wrong, w/hilarious interpretations!

Status
Not open for further replies.