• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Give a dog a bone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
And they will chew and chew and chew and be very happy dogs. :)

Topaz with half a goat pelvis (the sheet got tossed in the wash after, normally I send them outside with bones, but it's a muddy swamp out there atm)

Amber with a quarter of a cow pelvis (naturally, the floor was later mopped)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucky dog! My girls would go nuts for that!

***I would like to drop a note here: It is very safe to give your dogs raw bones. Their digestive enzymes break the bone down. Never cook bones first. Cooked bones do not digest and will splinter. This can be very dangerous.

Last edited:
M

M.C Bird Rescue

My st bernard will eat GIANT pieces of bones. I have given them to her in the past and it caused her to have the big D. I have tried since then, same result. I have picky tummys here.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
My dogs can eat bone, raw meat and dead things they find and be fine, but rawhide is a mess waiting to happen! Then there's the fact that Amber gets colitis with grain based foods and Topaz is allergic to chicken and every sort of pollen ever. Ugh! GSDs are not known for having strong, healthy GI systems, that's for sure.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
They look like they sure are enjoying them. How long did they work on them?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
oh my goodness! Big bones :hehe:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
They look like they sure are enjoying them. How long did they work on them?
I let them chew for about an hour, then sent the dogs outside and picked up the bones. I just gave them back again about 45 minutes ago and they're still at it. They usually actually EAT the bone, so I try to limit how much they consume at once. Stomach acid does break down bone, but they still get constipated if they eat TOO much. It's why I can't give them knuckle bones- they eat the whole thing in one go, and I avoid leg bones/marrow bones because they're even harder than the rest of the skeleton and I do worry about broken teeth. I figure if it holds up a 1400lb cow, it's got to be some very hard bone! I (accurately or not) feel like non-weight bearing bones and bones from smaller animals are somewhat safer tooth-wise.

Here's what's left.

Status
Not open for further replies.