• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting Trained Bird Back in Cage

SmolParrot

Meeting neighbors
My GCC is a velcro bird, unlike my budgies who are bribed with a treat (nutriberry usually) and fly right back into the cage each night. My GCC also was like this until recently, he seems to have outsmarted me and doesnt take the "bait". He goes on my shoulder knowing I cannot get him in the cage unless hes on my hand/forearm. Then will avoid getting off onto my hand, as he would usually do.

I have tried using his target stick to no avail, he will just climb up to my shoulder and avoid the cage. Despite being a target stick pro, it seems he has no interest going back into his PH F050 cage filled with toys. Eventually, as of lately I have to towel him to get him in the cage, which honestly feels horrible. Some people online say the negative reinforcement of the towel will make them in the long run more cooperative, but I fear I am ruining the relationship I've built with him. He's very well trained, can even do color sorting tricks, but can't do the basic task of getting back in his cage... I am starting to accept the fact I might have to get rid of the cage or towel him daily :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Giving this thread a little bump