• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

getting new cockatiel

lichphanto

Sitting on the front steps
Hello , I was planning to get 1 female cockatiel but when I went to the place I got attached to two of them , it was a whole room with many tiels and other birds but I noticed those two tiels were very quiet compared to others and they are approximately 3 months old , the person told me that at first he fed them from hand but just for short time because he got overwhelmed by many ... my concern now is if I get the two of them , will I be able to tame them and bond with me ? or they will just bond with each other and won't be close to me ? in the past I had a cockatiel that was bonded so well with her , but I don't know how two will be , and will they also be getting along with each other since they already know each other ? I

lichphanto

I have big cage already , and I have experience with 1 female cockatiel but never with two , so I don't know what to expect , maybe they won't let me get close to them if they are two ? and they would share the cage ? and since they are not fully hand raises ( only eat from human hand for very shirt time ) will they let me touch them and pick them even if they are 3 months ? I don't want to clip the wings

Jaspersmum

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Hi!

Well from my research it could go either way. But most likely they are bonded or will bond and you will be part of their flock and all but they will prefer each other.

I got a pet store bird who I believe was abused as they fished him out with a net. I knew he would be tough to tame and was correct.

I felt bad for him not being close to anything so I bought a legit hand tamed tiel. This bird has bonded hard to me. I mean he is on me like a tick. Lol

He and Jasper (bird 1) are trying to bond but I'm pretty sure they are both males and both drop head for scratch and neither will do the other one and they get mad and Eli flies right back to me.

Now I am pretty sure Eli and Jasper will bond and eventually I'll be 2nd fiddle but that's OK if they are happy. My Jasper has come along well with being tolerant of me. He will step up and hang out close to me. So all around I am pleased for them both and myself.

Just make sure they are hand raised by asking to see one held or something. If not it will likely be tough to get them interested in you since they have each other.

My 2 cents

lichphanto

Hi!

Well from my research it could go either way. But most likely they are bonded or will bond and you will be part of their flock and all but they will prefer each other.

I got a pet store bird who I believe was abused as they fished him out with a net. I knew he would be tough to tame and was correct.

I felt bad for him not being close to anything so I bought a legit hand tamed tiel. This bird has bonded hard to me. I mean he is on me like a tick. Lol

He and Jasper (bird 1) are trying to bond but I'm pretty sure they are both males and both drop head for scratch and neither will do the other one and they get mad and Eli flies right back to me.

Now I am pretty sure Eli and Jasper will bond and eventually I'll be 2nd fiddle but that's OK if they are happy. My Jasper has come along well with being tolerant of me. He will step up and hang out close to me. So all around I am pleased for them both and myself.

Just make sure they are hand raised by asking to see one held or something. If not it will likely be tough to get them interested in you since they have each other.

My 2 cents
I had a tiel in the past that passed away and I really bonded so well with her that she never want me to let go of her and I want to bond with another tiel again and feel this love that I had from the other one , but I'm hesistant to get two now since they might bond with each other over me , but I have the time to take care of them ... you told me to make sure they are hand raised , you mean if the guy in the pet store was able to pick them in the fingers that means they are hand raised and if he couldn't catch them and needed to forcefully take them that means it's not hand raised? even if they are just 3 months old ?