• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

getting a new mate for my bereaved lovebird

Evata

Moving in
I lost my beloved bird last night. I am not sure what happened, she was literally fine one moment and gone the next.
The vet is going to do an autopsy to determine what went wrong.

Her boyfriend is very confused and looking for her everywhere and calling her.

Since he has always been more of a bird- bird than a people bird I want to look for a new friend for him. Should I look for one right away or should I give him some time to grieve?
Does it matter what gender I get? In any case I want to rescue one and I notice that people who want to get rid of their birds often don't know what sex their birds are...

Any input is very welcome. :sad5:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m very sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Some members more familiar with lovebirds will be by soon hopefully to give you their opinions and share their experiences with their lovies.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:

I am so sorry for your loss :sorrow: hope you are ok it’s so hard losing them

I would personally wait for autopsy just to make sure it’s nothing catching and keep an eye on your other bird before getting a new bird

I haven’t had the best time getting a new bird for my first bird but I am starting to think that maybe it’s because he was hand fed others were parent raised and accepted each other so much better than pico accepted any of them

@Zara might be able to answer your questions a lot better than me

Evata

Moving in
:hello:

I am so sorry for your loss :sorrow: hope you are ok it’s so hard losing them

I would personally wait for autopsy just to make sure it’s nothing catching and keep an eye on your other bird before getting a new bird

I haven’t had the best time getting a new bird for my first bird but I am starting to think that maybe it’s because he was hand fed others were parent raised and accepted each other so much better than pico accepted any of them

@Zara might be able to answer your questions a lot better than me
Thanks for your input. The vet just called and she died from an infection to her lungs. I have to take the other one in as well to make sure he is healthy...

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Thanks for your input. The vet just called and she died from an infection to her lungs. I have to take the other one in as well to make sure he is healthy...
Oh fingers crossed for your other baby

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am very sorry for your loss.

Does it matter what gender I get?
I think you may have the best luck introducing birds of the same species. So look for another Fischeri lovebird. As your bird is a boy, hopefully he will do well with whoever you bring home. If you had a female it could be more difficult as female female pairs are much less common and fights break out more. If you can get a female, I would, if not then a male. If you bring home a female, have dummy eggs on hand.

Should I look for one right away or should I give him some time to grieve?
I don't think there is an answer to this question.
I recently lost the male of one pair and initially his partner was looking for him and calling for him. I have other birds and so I would let her spend the extra night time that my youngest single bird gets with me, with him. And she would be quite standoffish, she wouldn't let him get too close, she was clear she wanted some space, or wanted to be babied by me.
After a few days she stopped looking for her partner (literally sat on me looking around the air for him).
Take everything with a pinch of salt, as my situation is very different from yours. This was the only bird she was loyal to, and they were each others only mate. And they lived around other birds most of their lives.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator