• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a baby green cheek conure

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi all, so we've moved houses and am I finally able to get my childhood dream pet of a green cheek. I've been waiting for years and next month my baby should be ready, he or she is a turquoise cinnamon green cheek and will be about 10 weeks old. I do have a question, I read about mutations and it sounds like cinnamon is more common in female green cheeks, so does that mean I should except a female?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What do you mean "except a female"? They are far more than half of the population due to it being a sex-linked mutation.

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
What do you mean "except a female"? They are far more than half of the population due to it being a sex-linked mutation.
I meant "expect" not "except", I know in cockatiels cinnamons are often females, I was wondering if it is the same in gcc. I just like to guess my birds sex before I find out for sure via dna.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Then yes, it is likely a female, but other than knowing the parents genetic mutations (both visual and split), you would need to use DNA sexing, or surgical sexing, methods. Unless of course she lays an egg. Just to be clear, depending on the parents mutations, it may not be possible at all to tell without DNA or surgical sexing.

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Then yes, it is likely a female, but other than knowing the parents genetic mutations (both visual and split), you would need to use DNA sexing, or surgical sexing, methods. Unless of course she lays an egg. Just to be clear, depending on the parents mutations, it may not be possible at all to tell without DNA or surgical sexing.
Thank you, I figured she might be a girl, I wanted to pick a unisex name just in case, but I do plan on DNA sexing them just to know what they are.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
My Ta-dah is a female turquoise cinnamon!!! I'm crazy about her !!
Congratulations on your upcoming new addition! I can't wait to follow your lives together!!