• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

General Consensus On Flighted Vs Clipped?

SkyDancer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
Hello!

I have a 17 week old YNA. He is currently fully flighted. I have never clipped his wings. I am just wondering how others have made the decision to clip versus leave flighted, and which is best?

I have 2 young children and we do bring our bird with us a bunch when we go out. My husband did make the comment about him flying outside if one of our kiddos leaves a door open (which made me a bit nervous). He does have an aviator harness we plan on getting him used to in order to go outside when we do bring him (any tips, because even with the video the harness comes with, putting it on is SO confusing)...

I *do* also have cats and other animals as well though and I like the idea of him being able to fly (just in case) something ever were to happen. We do keep everyone separate and are OCD about making sure none of the cats make their way into the areas he is in - but - kids.

Just curious what everyone else's preference is? I feel like in some ways it may be easier to work with him if he is clipped so he's not flying all over the house - but just not sure. Would love others insight here.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a cat, dog, and two young kids, and all of my birds have always been flighted. I choose to alter the environment instead of the bird :)

Clipping is a false sense of security; many birds can still fly with a proper clip. They then just lose maneuverability, making it harder to get back.

Taking them outside I only have done with a carrier or harness.

The confidence of a bird with wings is glorious. And them choosing to be with you because they can fly to you is magical. The health benefits of being able to fly cannot be understated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here's a long going poll we have here :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Flighted for all the reasons above. It's what is best for the bird psychologically and physically. A clipped bird can still escape and fly enough to stay out of your reach.

If you have the money and your home architecture allows it, add a small much porch/vestibule to each exit. If not, give everyone really strict rules and remind people all of the time. If either exit is separated from the main living area by a regular size doorway, hang a tension rod with a sheer curtain or transparent shower curtain to act as an extra precaution.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I also have a flighted bird, kids and dogs. I lost a canary via a door. I Have since installed inexpensive and easy to install magnet closure mesh screens on all doors that attach to the door frame with Velcro strips (from Amazon) for safety. I also have one in an inside door frame for a room my kids go in and out of. It’s not fool proof but it definitely adds a degree of safety.
i have been spending the last few months volunteering at a bird breeder’s shop where she raises YNAs. I will say -and please know that there are many others with more experience than me— that YNAs, especially males, are known for going through an aggressive hormonal shift so I would be adamant about safety training with your kids (no shoulders, read body language, defer to bird’s warnings, etc). I’m wishing you the best—they’re a great species!

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Flighted for my tiel and budgie. It keeps them happy and allows them to choose where they want to be and not be as dependent on me to go from perch to cage, etc. My CBC is not flighted because he is a plucker and chews off his wing and tail feathers. Watching him be unflighted is so heartbreaking that I would never clip a bird who had the ability to fly. He wants to fly, and sometimes seems to forget he can't. He will throw himself off of perches and flap, only to fall to the bottom of the cage and every time it happens I am so scared that he will be injured. This is the same as clipped birds will do, which proves how much it increases the risk of injury. Clipped birds don't understand that they can't fly, and they will continue to try to fly which is just not good for the bird's psychological and physical health.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
All my birds are flighted its just better for them :cool:

SkyDancer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
I also have a flighted bird, kids and dogs. I lost a canary via a door. I Have since installed inexpensive and easy to install magnet closure mesh screens on all doors that attach to the door frame with Velcro strips (from Amazon) for safety. I also have one in an inside door frame for a room my kids go in and out of. It’s not fool proof but it definitely adds a degree of safety.
i have been spending the last few months volunteering at a bird breeder’s shop where she raises YNAs. I will say -and please know that there are many others with more experience than me— that YNAs, especially males, are known for going through an aggressive hormonal shift so I would be adamant about safety training with your kids (no shoulders, read body language, defer to bird’s warnings, etc). I’m wishing you the best—they’re a great species!
Thank you! We have a small private zoo. We have monkeys, lemurs, foxes, etc. so our kids have been raised to be extremely respectful of our animals and some animals, we don't allow any interaction with (for obvious reasons). One of my only concerns bringing Grinchie home was that DNA sexing was not done previously and we were taking a gamble (my background is also as an Avian & Exotic Vet Tech and Trainer). We just got DNA results back on Grinchie today, and he is actually a SHE (which I was very pleased about)! I know it's still a concern, but I also know males can be notoriously more aggressive.

RosyBourke

Moving in
I have dogs, so I've left my personal birds all flighted. I've only clipped the babies if they've really gotten themselves into trouble flying into things and then it's only once to have them learn not to fly off.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Always flighted for me. Birds are supposed to fly, and clipping 90% (or more) of the time doesn't actually do anything other than put them in dangerous situations.
Two if my budgies I got when they were clipped and even though they're flighted now their confidence in flying is pitiful compared to my birds that have always been flighted.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Always flighted for me too... birds have the ability to fly for many very good reasons.
I personally can not understand how any human can believe clipping is ever helpful to companion birds or in their best interests nor can I comprehend that most humans feel clipping is a given right of the bird owner in this day and age.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Absolutely flighted for me too, I personally think it's mean to take away a birds only form of safety. Clipping has a lot of risks, which others have covered.
When Spearmint was clipped, he was always crashing into things, falling in his cage, when he slipped he would end up somewhere, and get hurt. Now that he's flighted, he flies around safely in a pretty small room, hasn't crashed in ages, and is able to move himself between his play areas without my help :)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Thank you! We have a small private zoo. We have monkeys, lemurs, foxes, etc. so our kids have been raised to be extremely respectful of our animals and some animals, we don't allow any interaction with (for obvious reasons). One of my only concerns bringing Grinchie home was that DNA sexing was not done previously and we were taking a gamble (my background is also as an Avian & Exotic Vet Tech and Trainer). We just got DNA results back on Grinchie today, and he is actually a SHE (which I was very pleased about)! I know it's still a concern, but I also know males can be notoriously more aggressive.
Oh that is so cool!! One of my six year old twins has become BFFs with our (well really his at this point lol) green cheek conure. They “flock call” for each other and he’s the only person other than me that the bird volunteers to be scritched by. It’s been amazing to watch happen.
I wish I had gone into avian care and training earlier in life.
And now of course I’m curious How you came to have monkeys, lemurs and foxes and what the ect could possibly be!? Do tell if you’re up for it lol! My home with our 2 dogs, 2 fish, 3 birds, 2 kids and a rabbit feels like a little bit of chaos but a whole lot of love so I’d love to hear what yours is like (and how did you convince you significant other -mine has set their foot down and I’m cut off despite my protestations that a Nubian goat could be passed off as a dog of sorts lol!).
I love YNAs and you sound as capable as one can be of handling one —and I’m glad for you she’s a female : ).

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I feel that in a way, clipping birds at a young age can be akin to desexing young dogs.... the only major difference is that one is permanent and the other is temporary.... however, the damage can still be "similar".

I would suggest reading Pamela Clark's guide on Ethical, Moral & Spiritual Considerations of Companion Parrot Care

Particularly the part about raising african greys and the change in behaviors she's seen of clipping chicks vs leaving them flighted.

Not to say that all clipped birds will end up with these issues... just a higher chance of it occurring, especially if new owners don't work on confidence building in their young birds. Clipping is also often used as a crutch to actual non-confrontational training.