• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender identification help please

Mybirdjoey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mervyn
Hi there i have acquired some additional parakeets to my flock today 4 mutation turquoisine parakeets and 2 pink bourkes .
I don't know a huge amount about both species so tried to pick pairs based on the little knowledge i have . Any help i would be grateful and i will get them dnad if necessary.
Not a novice to birds i have many other parakeets and parrots just not those species .
2 pics of the turquoisine parakeets and 1 pic of the bourkes . . . What genders do i have you think ? Good size difference between the two bourkes
Thanks

Attachments

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I can't answer your question I just wanted to say congratulations. your birds are beautiful.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
They’re so pretty!

I know *typically* for most species the brighter colors are male, but I also know a lot of bird species don’t follow that rule. Far too easy :roflmao:

Are you in the US? There’s a company you can send off feathers to and have a DNA test done!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
There is no sure way to know the gender of the Bourke parakeet. I've used this before for DNA Testing.