• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender differences?

Thump

Checking out the neighborhood
Greetings!
I am planning to bring an Eclectus into my life (eggs have not hatched yet) and I was wondering if the gender differences I've heard and read about are more individual or sex related. I rather hear from experienced bird lovers.

NancyS

Sitting on the front steps
I've reared many, many eclectus. Of course I am speaking in generalities, but I would much rather have a male as a pet than a hen. I do have two males as pets. The hens are just a tad more opinionated and when paired wear the pants in the family.

Thump

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for your advice.
Is there temperament and personality evident early on, before they are fully weaned?

NancyS

Sitting on the front steps
Thank you for your advice.
Is there temperament and personality evident early on, before they are fully weaned?
That's a good question and may be difficult to answer. Speaking as someone who used to breed birds, eclectus chicks are definitely a little different than other species--maybe a tad more reserved, aloof and not pushy (like a caique for instance). I do think the males are a tad more relaxed. But, I do know many people that have very nice hens as pets. It just depends upon what works for you and the bird.

I'm really generalizing. If I was going to get a lovebird, I would go with a male. If I was going to get an amazon, I would go with a hen. But many people have nice lovebird hens and nice amazon males. They just aren't as flexible.