• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC questions

Oscarrr367

Moving in
Hello, I'm a new GCC owner. My GCC, kiwi, is 13 weeks old I got her when she was 9 weeks. 1. Which toys should I buy her? 2. Will she start making a lot more noise as she grows, she makes noise when I get away from her (she tries looking for me). Finally, 3. Is it normal for her not to grab fruit and vegies with her feet yet?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
1. My green cheek liked thin pine, balsa, mahogany pods, craft sticks, etc. You can see our vendors here:

2. Depends. It usually takes several months for them to settle in completely.

3. Some birds are not big on holding stuff with their feet. She's still young though and it's normal. That takes a lot of dexterity and balance!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum!

2. Will she start making a lot more noise as she grows, she makes noise when I get away from her (she tries looking for me).
I'll offer that birds a very smart and learn how to get our attention, so whether Kiwi gets louder will depend on how you respond to her being loud. Give her attention when she's being noisy, and that reinforces the behaviour (making it more likely). You'll learn the difference between a simple flock call (wanting to keep in touch with you), and her being demanding. It will also depend on how she's kept. If she has lots to do, and is often out of her cage, it's likely she'll be less noisy than if she's bored and always in her cage. If you learn her quirks as she grows, you can also proactively learn what triggers make her noisy and avoid those.

So, it varies based on the bird's personality, but a lot depends on you :)

Also, I would expect some additional noise when she reaches sexual maturity and she's intermittently hormonal.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
1. Which toys should I buy her?
Welcome!
I would buy a bunch of foraging toys, shredding toys, wooden toys and anything that can be destroyed. Parrots need toys that they can rip, shred and tear because it is part of their natural instincts. Take it easy on the toys though and don't overload her cage because she might be afraid and overwhelmed. When you get to know your bird better (because you stated your a new parront) you'll also begin to find out what your bird likes and doesn't like. For instance, my bird likes sola wood and finger traps and doesn't really like tightly woven palm leaves or pine wood. There are plenty of great vendors here on AA (Mizzely left a link to all of them) who handmake toys that are amazing and engaging. I myself have ordered some and can't wait for them to arrive. I hope this helps and good luck with Kiwi. :)

Oscarrr367

Moving in
Welcome!
I would buy a bunch of foraging toys, shredding toys, wooden toys and anything that can be destroyed. Parrots need toys that they can rip, shred and tear because it is part of their natural instincts. Take it easy on the toys though and don't overload her cage because she might be afraid and overwhelmed. When you get to know your bird better (because you stated your a new parront) you'll also begin to find out what your bird likes and doesn't like. For instance, my bird likes sola wood and finger traps and doesn't really like tightly woven palm leaves or pine wood. There are plenty of great vendors here on AA (Mizzely left a link to all of them) who handmake toys that are amazing and engaging. I myself have ordered some and can't wait for them to arrive. I hope this helps and good luck with Kiwi. :)
Thanks for your reply, I will get her some shredding toys, thanks for the tips!

Oscarrr367

Moving in
1. My green cheek liked thin pine, balsa, mahogany pods, craft sticks, etc. You can see our vendors here:

2. Depends. It usually takes several months for them to settle in completely.

3. Some birds are not big on holding stuff with their feet. She's still young though and it's normal. That takes a lot of dexterity and balance!
Thank you for the tips, and I’ll take a look at the vendors, thank you!

Oscarrr367

Moving in
Welcome to the forum!

I'll offer that birds a very smart and learn how to get our attention, so whether Kiwi gets louder will depend on how you respond to her being loud. Give her attention when she's being noisy, and that reinforces the behaviour (making it more likely). You'll learn the difference between a simple flock call (wanting to keep in touch with you), and her being demanding. It will also depend on how she's kept. If she has lots to do, and is often out of her cage, it's likely she'll be less noisy than if she's bored and always in her cage. If you learn her quirks as she grows, you can also proactively learn what triggers make her noisy and avoid those.

So, it varies based on the bird's personality, but a lot depends on you :)

Also, I would expect some additional noise when she reaches sexual maturity and she's intermittently hormonal.
Oh I understand, thank you!!